Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any way to get blood test results at the weekend when GP surgery closed?

(24 Posts)
Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 09-Feb-18 20:32:48

I'm now on day 5 of a fever which was preceded by a feeling of pressure on my bladder last weekend. Took urine sample to GP on Monday. It tested clear but GP said my symptoms sounded like UTI so prescribed trimethoprim for 3 days. All this week I've been struggling to get warm, with hands and feet feeling especially cold, and bouts of nausea particularly in the mornings. I also feel as though my uterus is enlarged and pressing on my bladder, similar to how I felt in early pregnancy. Also, from the outside, it looks like it's sticking out a bit as though I'm about 8-9 weeks pregnant but I'm definitely not. I'm on day 21 of a 28 day cycle. I'm 45.

Went back to the GP on Wednesday and told her all this so she examined me internally and thought I might have a prolapsed uterus and has referred me for a scan ( 3 week wait). She thought the fever and coldness symptoms were unrelated and probably viral which I think would be odd as no one else in my family has had anything like this. I said I am particularly worried about sepsis as I have previously had an infection of the uterus during pregnancy ( which resulted in miscarriage) and despite having a severe infection that time, I had very few symptoms and didn't present as ' very ill'. She said if I was worried about infection, I could have a blood test to look at white blood cell count and infection markers which would show if I had an infection and also if it was more likely to be viral or bacterial. I couldn't get the blood test done at the GP ( 2 week wait!) so I asked for the forms and went to the hospital to have it done there on Thursday morning. The phlebotomist said to phone the GP surgery for the results but I called them at 4 pm today (Friday) and they said the results weren't in and to call back Monday.

Does anyone know if there is any way of getting access to my results before Monday? Because of my previous experience I feel I could be sitting on a time bomb of sepsis about to happen. Last time, when I did actually have an infection of the uterus, I was sent home from the OOH doctors because I didn't appear ill enough to have bacterial infection ( temp 37.5) and no abnormal discharge and it was only when I returned 2 days later and had a blood sample taken that I was suddenly treated as being on the verge of a medical emergency.

Sorry it's so long. Thanks for continuing with this if you've read this far.

GreatDuckCookery Fri 09-Feb-18 21:15:30

Sorry you're feeling so bad. I'm not sure how you'd get the results sorry. You could try Phlebotomy but I'm not sure they'd be open at the weekend. Ring 111 if you start to feel worse.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 09-Feb-18 21:47:44

Thank you ( although it's not what I wanted to hear!). Still feeling sick. Thinking about calling 111.

tangledyarn Sat 10-Feb-18 00:03:44

You could go to ooh/walk in if you are feeling unwell ..they will be able to see results on the system. The bloods will most likely been processed on thurs and they would have flagged up anything serious though and you would have been contacted most likely so try not to worry but I know its easier said than done!

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 05:05:52

Thanks, TangledYarn. I managed a few hours sleep but as you can see I'm up early as I was very hot and shaky.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 05:27:02

Waiting for a call back from 111. They're booking me in to ooh.

tangledyarn Sat 10-Feb-18 05:29:38

Ohh bless you..maybe a trip to the walk in centre is in order? Also awake at ridiculous time due to health stuff..you'd think the body would know that sleep is a helpful thing eh.

tangledyarn Sat 10-Feb-18 05:31:36

cross post sorry..thats good..glad you are going to get seen..hope they can sort you out xx

Gunpowder Sat 10-Feb-18 05:41:48

Gosh so glad you are being seen.

EdithWeston Sat 10-Feb-18 05:51:01

"they will be able to see results on the system"

Depends entirely in the system - if her own GP can't see them (as was the case yesterday at 4pm) it's quite possible that OOH centre won't be able to access them either.

"The bloods will most likely been processed on thurs and they would have flagged up anything serious though and you would have been contacted"

Agree. Delay is most likely because there is nothing to worry about and it's taken a while to get clerked onto the system. If there is anything at all out of reference range it gets flagged and reviewed (and sent on ASAP). If there is something majorly out of range, that will be within hours.

Oblomov18 Sat 10-Feb-18 06:07:32

No. There is no way you will get your results before Monday. In my experience.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 10:39:08

You're quite right, Oblomov! I've been up to OOH this morning, doctor said they have no access to GP records so it will have to wait until Monday. No tests / scans etc either being a weekend. Have been prescribed some broad spectrum antibiotics ( 2nd course of antibiotics this week albeit different ones) - can't help feeling they're clutching at straws but not a lot else they can do without access to results or more tests / scans.
Just hoping it's not a yeast infection or else all these antibiotics will make it worse! I don't think it is - I've had Candida before and it was incredibly itchy. It's definitely not an STD - small child currently sleeps in our bed preventing any bedroom antics!
BV? Or something transferred from a tampon / mooncup ( I use either).

treedragon Sat 10-Feb-18 10:45:36

It takes about 4 working days for results to be in at my surgery.

Does your surgery operate the online service where you can book appointments because mine does and the account even shows test results and medical records.

That said, if the results are there do you know what you are looking for?

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 11:12:33

I discovered last night from their website ( no signs up in the surgery) that they do apparently have an online booking system but you have to ask reception for a password and login so I can't do it. Good idea though.

tangledyarn Sat 10-Feb-18 11:25:24

It must really vary by region as in some areas test results are held on a central database. Really hope you are feeling a bit reassured and hopefully the new antibiotics do the trick

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 14:09:27

As both tangled and Edith said, the OOH doctor said he thought if there was anything seriously concerning, the results would have been sent through more quickly. So no news is probably good news although I feel I can't count on it. So I may be on antibiotics needlessly, although the alternative is that I may be having symptoms of a condition that could turn out to be life threatening shock. Heart is pounding today as it was last night but I really don't know how much is due to anxiety and how much due to symptoms.

tangledyarn Sat 10-Feb-18 15:48:55

Did OOH check your bp/heartrate/temperature?

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 17:33:34

Checked temp ( slightly elevated) and put a thing on my finger but I think that was 02 saturation rather than pulse. No blood pressure measurements done at all this week.
Heart feels normal now so I'm hoping that either it was all anxiety based or even better, that the second lot of antibiotics ( 7 hours since first dose) are doing their thing. I don't feel so cold as I have done either so I'm hoping it's the latter.

tangledyarn Sat 10-Feb-18 18:44:08

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Fingers crossed x

Mycarsmellsoflavender Sat 10-Feb-18 20:29:52

Ha! Spoke too soon. Fever definitely still here - shivery again.
I must have been having a calm moment. I've had a chilled afternoon / evening lying on the sofa reading nearly a whole book in front of the fire while DH cooked dinner. It's actually been really nice if it wasn't for the illness!

woosey35 Sun 11-Feb-18 00:15:51

So sorry to hear you’re going through this. It’s awful waiting for results. I agree with others that I think you would hear if they weren’t right.
Also everything you describe sounds like a nasty uti to me. It can give you chills, and the heavy uterus on bladder feeling is awful!! The pressure all the time!!
Also the probe you had on your finger is indeed a O2 sat probe but will also give your heart rate too.
I hope you feel better soon x

Mycarsmellsoflavender Mon 12-Feb-18 12:45:40

Update: phoned the surgery for the blood results this morning and as some of you predicted, the blood cell count looked normal. The only thing that was slightly out was something to do with kidney function but I'm not sure what it was. Had a phone back from the doctor who didn't think it was much to worry about and it may just have been out of range because I hadn't drunk enough liquid if I was feeling ill.

In the meantime, I had a great day yesterday feeling much better up until about 5 pm when the nausea restarted and then subsided after an hour or two. But this morning I feel terrible. Have felt sick all morning. I'm so fed up with this now - have had symptoms on and off for 10 days.

GreatDuckCookery Mon 12-Feb-18 13:34:34

Hopefully whatever you've had is working it's way out of your system. Hope it buggers off for good very soon!

Mycarsmellsoflavender Thu 15-Feb-18 08:14:34

Update 2: was referred up to the hospital as an outpatient yesterday as I was experiencing palpitations over several days and still feeling rough. Repeat of blood test came back completely clear, and ECG was normal although there were some missed beats. Think it's just a persistent virus, possibly with something hormonal thrown in for good measure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: