Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Flu without temp??

(15 Posts)
woosey35 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:40:21

Sooooo...dh was up last night with his asthma misbehaving. Then this evening, he called on his way home from work saying he felt he had flu and was shivering. So I prepped the spare room blush for his return. When he walked through the front door, he gave out a cough and then started emphasising shivers as I led him to the spare room and force fed lemsip capsules.
I took his temp and it was 38.6. Sooooooo.....he’s saying he has flu. Can you get flu with a temp so good?? Or does that follow?? Or is this something else??
I’m not the most patient (can you tell?!) as I find he is quite dramatic. However I know he’s not when his asthma is concerned as I think that’s always very genuine.
My problem is, my youngest daughter is immunocompromised. I need to have a plan, especially if it’s flu.....

TheFallenMadonna Thu 08-Feb-18 20:44:19

38.6 is feverish. No idea if he has flu, of course.

woodlanddreamer Thu 08-Feb-18 20:46:02

38.6 is a fever. Did it come on very quickly. Flu tends to. Whatever it is, it sounds as if he has a virus. Did he have the flu jab (should with asthma)?

Quartz2208 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:46:19

do you mean 38.6 or 37.6 - as 38.6 is definitely a temperature

gamerchick Thu 08-Feb-18 20:48:07

His temp is up, it’s not horrendous but he’s probably not feeling very clever.

HeyRoly Thu 08-Feb-18 20:50:47

Anything over 37.4 is a fever.

If my temp was 38.6 I'd be feeling like shit.

Astrid2 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:54:34

Anything over 38' is a fever. Not 37.4

woosey35 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:30:24

Sorry I meant 36.8!!!! So cold not hot!!

woosey35 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:33:29

Yes he’s had flu jab. We all have to because of my daughter, as well as for the asthma side. But I hear the flu jab isn’t that clever this year....

greenlynx Thu 08-Feb-18 22:32:01

A nurse told me that you can still get a flu after flu jab but mild one so it could be this. Or it could be beginning of cold/virus.
Paracetamol + early bedtime + hot water bottle and he could be ok by tomorrow. Don't let him contact DD until the situation is clear.
Does he usually have temperature? I know some people don't have fever with flu/cold even when the other simptoms are 100% there. I have a relative like this.
Hopefully he is just tired and will be well by tomorrow.

woosey35 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:36:14

I’ve just checked his heart rate and it’s 114 while he’s led in bed. He has no sore throat etc. It’s all relating to his chest and he’s drowning in mucus from there when he coughs. I’m thinking pneumonia.......

woosey35 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:51:23

Yup it’s pneumonia!!

DottyGiraffe Fri 09-Feb-18 21:10:12

Oh dear - but at least he's now being treated (or I assume he is anyway!)

woosey35 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:11:55

Yes. We were on route via gp to hosp for IV but the hosp has asked us to stay in community for now. I assume bed shortage. If worsens to go in 🤷🏻‍♀️
Fingers crossed antibs kick in soooooooon!! It’s such a worry. He passed out on the tiled bathroom floor earlier and I couldn’t get him
Up!! My youngest dd is immunocompromised and I’m
Trying to keep her safe while playing nursemaid to dh. And my other dd is somewhere in between 😫😫

woosey35 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:12:49

By the way. His temp is now consistently 40!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: