Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I’m really worried I have Ovarian cancer. What were your symptoms?

(36 Posts)
Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 15:50:14

I’ve been back and forth to the GP about 6 months for a couple of things. The first time I was told it sounds like IBS and was given medication which had zero affect. So after a few months I went back where the GP took blood tests to look fir inflammation markers, and a stool sample which came back clear. I have been on a course of antibiotics in case it’s PID although no swans taken so not confirmed. All these treatments have not worked at all.

The pelvic pain is so severe now it sometimes makes me vomit and i also have severe one sided pain but not all the time. I realised that for a few months now I have not been able to sleep through the night without having to get up for a wee usually 2/3 times a night (urine clear also) and heartburn that has started about a month ago. I can’t button up my work trousers because the bloat. The last few cycles have been very strange, and I even thought I was pregnant last month! I never would have thought about ovarian cancer in a million years until it came up on my Facebook feed the other day and I realised I had these symptoms. It has really been playing on my mind. I’ve tried phoning for an appointment the last few days but they release appointments on a daily basis and unless you are quick there are non left. I’m young (29) so I guess it’s not something the GP has considered.

Does this sound like it? Does anyone have any experiences they could reassure me?

endofthelinefinally Thu 08-Feb-18 15:52:17

Go back again and tell the gp that all your symptoms are getting worse.
You really should have a pelvic exam and a scan IMO.
Sorry you are going through all this.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 08-Feb-18 16:00:10

I would go back to the GP and request a referral to a gynae.

Is the GP also aware that your menstrual cycle has become more strange?. Is your pelvic pain cyclical in nature?

Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 16:09:28

I told the GP on my last visit a few weeks ago that my ordinary 28 day cycle were now every 20-35 days lately. And the pain is all the time. I mean every day for a bout, not ALL day.
I’ve started keeping a basin next to my bed because the heartburn is making me feel sick. I never ever thought heartburn could be a sign until now. I’m annoyed at myself because I knew heartbearn was very unusual for me as I have only had it when pregnant.

MapleLeafRag Thu 08-Feb-18 19:46:45

Could it be a large, hopefully benign, ovarian cyst? The pain could be torsion.

I had issues for years - "IBS", bloating, pain at one location in the abdomen, periods becoming erratic. Turns out it as a 9cm dermoid cyst that was diagnosed during an ultrasound following a miscarriage.

I would ask for a referral to a gynae, with an ultrasound exam.

Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 21:05:27

What’s torsion? Is that like a twisted ovary?
I’m going to phone again tomorrow for the next release of appointments so will hopefully get one within two weeks.

Jarmummy123 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:24:59

Hi

I am a long time lurker but your post has made me log in to reply.

My mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and subsequently died of the disease and I spent many many hours researching her illness and trying to find miracles so I know a fair bit.

Mum started in the January with abdominal fullness . She couldn’t finish a meal, started getting indigestion and needing to wee more often. She then noticed her clothes were getting too tight. She was backwards and forwards to the drs over 12 weeks. Each time she was told IBS, menopause, middle age spread blah blah. She trusted her GP. She had seen him for 20 yrs. One day she collapsed in the garden. My dad took her to the local NHS walk in centre. The dr took one look at the distended stomach and said your going to a and e. Mum was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. She had 4 litres of cancerous fluid drained from her abdomen. She was given a few weeks to live, the same week I found out I was pregnant. Mum tried everything thrown at her and survived for 7 yrs.

If you bloat, is your bloating all day or does it come on over the day? Bloating is a big sign esp bloating that is there all the time.

Please please print off symptoms from Ovacome, which is an ovarian cancer charity. Tell them you want a CA125 blood test and an ultrasound scan.

Ovarian cancer is rare in younger women, but as with all cancers it can and does happen. Ovarian cancer is known as the silent killer as it creeps up, but it does show symptoms. Yes indigestion and bloating can be caused by many things but I would sooner get the most serious ruled out.

Take care.

Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 21:39:38

Jarmummy123 thank you so much for your reply. And I’m sorry your Mum went through Ovarian Cancer.
I’m definitely going to insist on a scan and blood test. I should have kept a proper diary but will do so now.

Jarmummy123 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:47:11

A diary is a good idea. I had bleeding between periods and kept a diary for two cycles. My GP was fab and referred me straight away for a scan and to see a gynaecologist.

The Ovacome website is really informative and they have trained nurses that are there to help.

Remember that it’s rare for someone your age to have it but you are doing the right thing in getting it checked out. 😀

colleysmill Thu 08-Feb-18 21:51:52

Oh op try not to worry hard as it may be. Getting checked out is the most obvious advice but the problem as you are finding are many things present with your symptoms.

My dsis has very similar symptoms amd has just been diagnosed and tested for endometriosis. My dmum who had a very aggressive form of ovarian cancer and died very quickly after diagnosis (4 months) was symptomless and it was only found by accident

colleysmill Thu 08-Feb-18 21:53:41

Treated not tested for End o.

Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 21:56:52

My maternal grandmother had breast cancer twice and ovarian cancer but she was post menopausal. Her sister and her sisters daughter also had breast so it’s something that is in the family, although I don’t know if it RUNS in the family? My mother has had no problems or scares.
I really appreciate your reply Jar thank you.

Feelitstill Thu 08-Feb-18 22:00:30

Hi op.
Did you have the CA125 blood test?
For ovarian cancer checks it really is an ultrasound & ca125, then depending on what they find there you’ll have further tests.

RandomMess Thu 08-Feb-18 22:01:23

BRCA gene runs through the maternal line. You need to be insistent with GP!!!!

Feelitstill Thu 08-Feb-18 22:01:28

Or not, if both are negative!

Jarmummy123 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:02:56

You must mention your family history to the GP. Breast and Ovarian can run in family’s on the BRAC 1/2 gene. My mum was gene tested but hers was sporadic not genetic. Only about 20% or so are genetic.

Jarmummy123 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:04:01

Sorry autocorrect...... should be BRCA.

LordBuckethead Thu 08-Feb-18 22:15:16

I had very similar symptoms and I was also 29 at the time. The good news was it wasn't cancer it was a borderline ovarian cyst. But it was the size of a football by the time it was picked up, as my GP didn't take my symptoms seriously. So I needed a large op to remove it, lost my ovary too, and had to take about 12 weeks off work.

Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 22:20:18

I haven’t had the CA125 test which I will insist on when I manage to get an appointment.
lord can I ask you if you ever felt the lump in your tummy? Like if you were lying down? I’m just wondering if it’s something a GP would be able to feel.

Tinkerbellx Thu 08-Feb-18 22:24:53

Only briefly read this sorry but ask for he CA 125 blood test and then follow up the result . It's an easy test and a good indicator x

LordBuckethead Thu 08-Feb-18 22:35:59

I could feel something when I was lying on my stomach, but the GP couldn't feel anything until it was very large and even then he thought I was 5 months pregnant (the pregnancy test proved otherwise). This was when I was sent to the hospital for a scan. I also had a CA125 test but it was normal so this wouldn't have picked up the cyst on it's own in my case.

RandomMess Thu 08-Feb-18 22:38:25

I think it sounds more like a cyst but regardless your GO should be taking it far more seriously!!!

I think with your family history you can likely receive genetic testing for BRCA. If not you then certainly your Mum. If you have a Mum with the faulty gene it's 50:50 that you inherit it. If you have the stats for developing breast or ovarian cancer are very high.

Mum has developed ovarian cancer in her 70s, her sister died early 40s of breast cancer, their Mum of neither! Mum is BRCA 1 positive but I am in the lucky 50%.

LordBuckethead Thu 08-Feb-18 22:39:56

Was I meant to say was I could feel an odd sensation internally when was lying on my stomach, I never felt a "lump" as such, certainly not with my hands. In the end it was like being pregnant- I had a pregnancy sized bump - but i wouldn't describe it as a lump.

OkPedro Thu 08-Feb-18 22:44:00

jarmummy that's exactly what happened to my Mam
I wondered if you were one of my sisters posting!
It's just awful flowers
op
My Mam compared the pain to contractions
She had additional complications with her bowel which meant she had to have surgery
She was also told she probably had ibs
Is your stomach hard and bloated
My mam had this symptom constantly it didn't come and go neither did the pain

Thatsanicething Thu 08-Feb-18 22:50:06

OkPedro the pain is everyday but comes in waves. The bloat is everyday also even first thing in the morning.
I’m sitting here tonight, heavy painful pelvis, and heartburn. I’ve been going through rennies and gaviacon by the packet. I’ve got another day of antibiotics and they state I should not take antacids while taking them so I’ve got to prop myself up at night.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: