Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shingles,or hives?

(10 Posts)
lovemylover Wed 07-Feb-18 22:33:59

I have some large very itchy bumps on my left side, they have come up in the last few days,my sister has had shingles and these dont sound kike she described its just with them being on one side only
Another theory is they could be flea bites,
I have 3 cats, and a dog, never seen any fleas ever,and i flea spot them on a regular basis. but it could be one has got onto me and got trapped, laid on it etc, they all sleep on my bed,
I have googled shingles rashes and it doesnt look like them,
Going to Drs tomorrow anyway because of something else, so will ask him to look, they are quite sore now with rubbing on my clothes,

lovemylover Thu 08-Feb-18 12:52:12

Answering my own question, but i know its shingles now, has anyone got any experience of this, how long it lasts how bad it was etc?

lovemylover Thu 08-Feb-18 23:11:38

Bump

youlemming Fri 09-Feb-18 13:32:02

I had singles a few years ago along one side of my bad, once the blisters were out they didn't really bother me much, just a little sore if I knocked them and a bit tingly.
The 2 weeks before was some of the worst pain I've ever had (including 2 births and a couple of limb injuries), a pretty much constant migraine type headache and constantly feeling sick.

Everynow and then since I can get some odd feelings in the skin in that area and get the occasional ache but it's quite mild.

Hope you don't find it too bad.

lovemylover Fri 09-Feb-18 17:19:57

Thank you for your reply, yes its quite painful, not sure if blisters are out yet,as i cant see them, its more or less round the back looks just very red but tender to me, i have got some antivirals and just bought some Virasoothe, that is for chickenpox, so hope it helps
It feels like constant nettle rash,only stronger feeling, plus burning,
I have been told it can be very painful, and can be stress related,which in my case it probably is,i had a very stressful 2017, also got a cracked rib and damaged ligament in my knee, so not a good start to 2018 lol
Did it take 2 weeks for the bliste to come out, ? i have onky had this a few days,Dr said it should take about 2 weeks from now to feel better
Just got a bad headache really and blurry vision.

lovemylover Sat 10-Feb-18 06:47:06

Even more painful this morning.not sure what stage its at yet but hope it doesn't last much longer. Taking ibrupofen.its almost unbearable

lovemylover Wed 14-Feb-18 20:50:41

youlemming did you have any pain in the kidney area,or ribs or under ribs, not sure if its connected but suffering with it now,the blisters arent too bad now

zen1 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:01:20

I had shingles about 15 years ago, from one half of my spine right round to the front of my ribs. It basically followed the bottom of my bra line and at first I thought it could be a reaction to the fabric. It started off really itchy and then became irritating and then painful. The blisters became intensely painful and looked and felt like burns. They were sore and weeping. In the end (I was away), I went to an emergency doctor for some topical cream to sooth them. I think they took about a month to go, but the scars stayed much longer.

The pain is neurological so can follow the path of the nerves affected, so it could well be connected. Google postherpetic neuralgia. Hope you feel better soon.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Thu 15-Feb-18 08:16:29

It could be herpes gladiatorum, similar to shingles. I had it last year on one side of my chest and it bloody hurts!

lovemylover Thu 15-Feb-18 12:20:15

Checked that out its not that, but awake most of last night with the pain under ribs and round the back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now