Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Sports back injury: how much progress to expect in a few days?

(2 Posts)
thunderbee Wed 07-Feb-18 22:22:11

15 year old son was knee-jumped from behind at pace in the lower back during a football match on Monday. Screaming in agony afterwards according to other mums (I was at work) and couldn't breathe properly deeply or turn his head without severe pain. Eventually got him to A&E that evening. Ruled out kidney damage, but likely prolapsed disk with muscle spasm all along the right side of the lumbar vertebrae.
The thing that is bothering me is that 48 hours after the injury he is still complaining of severe pins and needles, pain and numbness in that area of his back on movement - he's definitely got more movement in the upper body without pain, but anything involving using his legs or bending/stooping - walking and sitting mainly - he says he's in as much pain as ever and he gets a significant tingling and numbness over the lower back.
Just wondering at what point in time at which we should go back to the GP or hospital if this continues without improvement - does anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

brownelephant Wed 07-Feb-18 22:26:26

I would expect a slight improvement at 48hours
have you has advice on posture, cooling, heating?

if not better tomorrow get him seen again.
try to see a physio as soon as possible (private def worth the money imo)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: