Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hospital calling regarding appointment- worrying?

(8 Posts)
VienneseFingers Wed 07-Feb-18 17:49:50

Back last summer, I saw my GP about an unpleasant but not serious condition. She referred me and I saw a consultant in November and had a scan just over 2 weeks ago to confirm diagnosis. So no hurry up until now.

This week, I have received a letter from the hospital for a consultant appointment early next week (so 3 weeks post scan) in an envelope marked "urgent", a text message reminder of my appointment and, very weirdly, a call from the hospital at 8pm last night checking that I had received the letter.

Should I be worried?? When I saw the consultant the first time, I never got a call to check I had received the appointment letter.

seven201 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:51:41

It might be they have a new system to help stop missed appointments to save money. My hospital sends text reminders and sometimes I get a call, but not always.

ggirl Wed 07-Feb-18 17:52:10

Hospitals do this to reduce non attenders .
I was called for mine- don't worry

MajesticWhine Wed 07-Feb-18 17:54:13

You are being given an appointment at quite short notice so it could be that the main aim is to make sure you can attend so it is not a wasted appointment.

Katescurios Wed 07-Feb-18 17:54:23

I've had loads of hospital appts recently due to a broken hand and detached retina, both needing surgery. I get letters, calls and text messages telling me that the average missed appt costs the hospital £128.

They're really trying to make sure every appt is fully booked and non attendance is reduced.

Couchpotato3 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:54:31

You can't read anything into this. They just want to make sure you are going to turn up and not waste the appointment.

VienneseFingers Wed 07-Feb-18 18:02:15

Thanks all. It was just weird being called at night by the hospital.

I think I will probably still worry until I've had the appointment, but only a little tiny bit after your reassurance that it's normal.

befairdontjudge Sat 10-Feb-18 13:24:43

Normal they are trying to reduce financial loss due to non attendance. Also at a Trust I worked agency staff were used to ring people in the early evening on the basis that is when most people are home and are likely to be free to talk/rearrange an appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now