Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Hospital calling regarding appointment- worrying?

(8 Posts)
VienneseFingers Wed 07-Feb-18 17:49:50

Back last summer, I saw my GP about an unpleasant but not serious condition. She referred me and I saw a consultant in November and had a scan just over 2 weeks ago to confirm diagnosis. So no hurry up until now.

This week, I have received a letter from the hospital for a consultant appointment early next week (so 3 weeks post scan) in an envelope marked "urgent", a text message reminder of my appointment and, very weirdly, a call from the hospital at 8pm last night checking that I had received the letter.

Should I be worried?? When I saw the consultant the first time, I never got a call to check I had received the appointment letter.

seven201 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:51:41

It might be they have a new system to help stop missed appointments to save money. My hospital sends text reminders and sometimes I get a call, but not always.

ggirl Wed 07-Feb-18 17:52:10

Hospitals do this to reduce non attenders .
I was called for mine- don't worry

MajesticWhine Wed 07-Feb-18 17:54:13

You are being given an appointment at quite short notice so it could be that the main aim is to make sure you can attend so it is not a wasted appointment.

Katescurios Wed 07-Feb-18 17:54:23

I've had loads of hospital appts recently due to a broken hand and detached retina, both needing surgery. I get letters, calls and text messages telling me that the average missed appt costs the hospital £128.

They're really trying to make sure every appt is fully booked and non attendance is reduced.

Couchpotato3 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:54:31

You can't read anything into this. They just want to make sure you are going to turn up and not waste the appointment.

VienneseFingers Wed 07-Feb-18 18:02:15

Thanks all. It was just weird being called at night by the hospital.

I think I will probably still worry until I've had the appointment, but only a little tiny bit after your reassurance that it's normal.

befairdontjudge Sat 10-Feb-18 13:24:43

Normal they are trying to reduce financial loss due to non attendance. Also at a Trust I worked agency staff were used to ring people in the early evening on the basis that is when most people are home and are likely to be free to talk/rearrange an appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: