Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Sudden deafness in left ear?

(2 Posts)
CobaltRose Wed 07-Feb-18 17:18:00

Hi everyone.

I'm 21 years old and have no health problems that I know of. About a week ago I came down with a cold. About five days ago I woke up to find that I was deaf in my left ear. I just assumed it was a side effect of my cold and that it would go away once my cold did.

Fast forward to five days later, and if anything the deafness is worse, not better. I've also got a low level ringing in my left ear, which is very annoying! I tried washing out my ear, Otex, ect and nothing has helped. Looking back I've had brief periods of hearing loss in my left ear for the past few months, but it's never lasted this long before. My ear isn't painful or anything, I just can't hear! hmm

Could this be a side effect of my cold? Is it worth seeing the doctor? Cheers!

WorldWideWanderer Wed 07-Feb-18 17:25:36

Check with your doctor. It is probably part of the cold which has settled in the ear. However, if you get an infection in your inner ear which is untreated, you will get labrynthitis which is nasty, you will get a horrible spinning dizziness which will make you feel dreadfully sick.
Do get it checked out, just in case......

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: