Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone been told they have ectropions whilst having a smear?

(7 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Wed 07-Feb-18 11:46:58

I’ve had some bleeding after sex and had my smear today. I’ve been referred to have a colposcopy at the hospital as I have ectropions. Ive had a read and I can see this is a fancy way of saying cervical erosion.

My last smear was 3 years ago and I was referred for a colposcopy then even though my smear was clear as I have the cancerous strain of HPV. The colposcopy was clear and they said to come back in three years which is basically now.

Since my last smear I’ve had a successful pregnancy and also sadly a TFMR September 2017 due to the baby being severely disabled. I’m just wondering if the termination could have caused the erosion. She kept talking about a possible infection or something. I have no idea I just know they are fast tracking me and that alone has worried me.

Melamin Wed 07-Feb-18 14:28:20

I get told every time I go. shock Then they tell me it is of no consequence, I forget, then they tell me the next time I go shock

I was told it was probably caused being on the pill.....

I doubt it has anything to do with your termination. I think it is just something that happens.

user1493413286 Wed 07-Feb-18 14:32:20

I’m not sure about the infection side but I had bleeding after sex and they said I had a cervical ectropion. When I went to the hospital they cauterised the bits that were causing the bleeding and no issues since.
At that point I’d hadn’t had any children and was told it was just something that can happen.

SleepFreeZone Wed 07-Feb-18 14:55:57

Oh that’s hugely reassuring, thank you so much 💐💐💐

sillyoldowl Wed 07-Feb-18 16:40:07

I get told this too. Not on the pill and never had anything done for it

AlmostCrawling Wed 07-Feb-18 16:46:50

I had one else picked up when I was pregnant. Had a colposcopy and they took a biopsy and done a smear. All came back clear. They weren't concerned by it just said it was common and the colposcopy was just a precaution. I'm glad they referred me though as I finally had my first ever smear. Have been putting it off for years as I bleed after sex and had convinced myself it was something sinister so refused to go for a smear (I know this is totally irresponsible of me!).

felidae Wed 07-Feb-18 16:55:34

It's just inflammation of the cervix, which is nothing to worry about, I think it's more common on the pill. It's quite commonly picked up on colposcopy, I had the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now