Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Endometrial Ablation not fully worked -What next?

(7 Posts)
EndometriolInvasion Wed 07-Feb-18 11:40:50

I had EA done last year to stop extremely painful periods and flooding.
No endometriosis! just really heavy painful period. since then, although
bleeding has stopped, pain continues to persist every month just for the first 2 days, but to the point I cannot get up, cannot eat, basically cannot do anything. Then it disappears again until next month.

I hate the pill and didn't want to go on it initially but now wondering wether I should just go on the pill. Has anyone had an endometrial ablation done and then gone on the pill afterwards?

BattleAxe111 Wed 07-Feb-18 15:37:37

Bumping for you. smile

armsandtheman Wed 07-Feb-18 15:52:58

Have you had an ultrasound? I had similar symptoms and they found a polyp, which has now been removed. They said the bleeding was probably my body trying to flush it out (lovely)! They fitted a mirena coil at the same time as removing the polyp. It was only last week, but they are meant to be very good for endo. I was awake so the recovery time has been very short (a couple of days). Obviously it takes a while from GP referral. I know it sounds grim, but honestly the procedure was fine. The maximum pain I experienced was so much less than a period (maybe 3 on the pain scale and most of it was 0-1).

In answer to your question - in the meantime I'd try the pill, or if that doesn't suit you, tranexamic acid and painkillers (mefanamic acid or ibuprofen plus paracetamol). You need to start them as soon as your period starts then take regular maximum dose for 3 days. I found the effect was cumulative so I did reduce the dose over time.

If you are done having children and there is no polyp/other reason for the symptoms, they can 'microwave' your womb and destroy the lining. Obviously it massively reduces your fertility.

These are some of the options that you can discuss with your gynaecologist. I had the ultrasound done privately but the operative hysteroscopy and coil insertion on the NHS. This sped up the whole process, but it still took about 9 months from GP referral (I'm in Wales).

I hope this helps. Here is the official guidance, much better than my ramblings www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/gt48managementpremensturalsyndrome.pdf

EndometriolInvasion Wed 07-Feb-18 16:13:26

Thanks Battle smile

Arms - They've said they can't find anything that might be causing it. I'm sitting here writhing in pain. I've been drugged up to the eyeballs for years now on the 3 you mentioned, infact i was so worried about it and fed up with the pain killers (which weren't really working) its what prompted me to see the gynae which led to to the ablation. But i'm still in pain. I'm now using Pregabalin, it just takes the edge of.

I'm wondering wether the pill will stop it altogether? as it will stop ovulation or how does it work?

armsandtheman Wed 07-Feb-18 17:02:56

I found the pill amazing. I’d definitely try it if I was you. I’m just too overweight to take it long term!

EndometriolInvasion Wed 07-Feb-18 20:31:08

Arms - Did you have severe pain before you went on the pill?

armsandtheman Thu 08-Feb-18 11:11:00

I had horrendous pain. I've just checked and I used Microgynon. I was told could run the packets together e.g. over a holiday and avoid a period altogether. It was amazing!

Other things I've found helped:
Having a baby decreased the pain, but increased the bleeding (although that could have been the polyp);
Switching to a menstrual cup and reusable pads seemed to decrease the pain and the cup is much better at catching the floods;
A TENS machine combined with pain killers;
Lying really still and resisting the temptation to move and make myself more comfortable. I find I can really focus on the waves of pain as, for me, it seems to need to reach a maximum before it decreases and moving just seems to delay the inevitable.

However, on the pill I had what I assume are normal periods. They were fine. Honestly, I'd definitely try it if you can and they'll look at any risk factors you have when they prescribe it. If it suits you it'll change your life! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now