Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I still don't understand bone density

(6 Posts)
ferrier Wed 07-Feb-18 08:26:53

So, as a woman approaching menopause I'm keen to make sure I'm looking after my bone health and I have a set of scales (SmartWeigh if that makes a difference) which purports to measure bone density or bone something.

I look up what is reasonable -
https://americanbonehealth.org/about-bone-density/understanding-the-bone-density-t-score-and-z-score/ and many other sites have the details - and understand that I'm looking for a t-score which is a comparison to the average 30-year old and therefore gives a + or - score ranging from around -4 (very bad) to +4 (very good).

My scales are consistently measuring me at 5.2 or 5.6. Are my scales wrong, are they measuring something else entirely, or is 5ish perfectly normal even though it features on none of the graphs I can find?

ferrier Wed 07-Feb-18 08:27:52

americanbonehealth.org/about-bone-density/understanding-the-bone-density-t-score-and-z-score/

Bookaboo Wed 07-Feb-18 18:20:24

To accurately measure bone density you would need to have a DEXA scan. I am not sure how a set of domestic scales would be able to measure this.

If your scales are reasonably accurate then presumably you just have excellent bone density!

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Wed 07-Feb-18 18:25:19

What bookaboo said.

You can support your bone strength by eating a calcium and vitamin D rich diet, doing regular weight bearing exercise (walking counts) and avoiding smoking.

ferrier Tue 13-Feb-18 00:30:48

Apologies for ignoring your replies - I didn't see them.
I don't really know anything about how the scales work except they send some kind of electric wave through my feet which measures water %, muscle % and this bone score.

I don't think I'm old enough for a DEXA scan on the nhs. Was just trying to make sure I'm in the best possible shape as I approach menopause. My diet is good for calcium I think - lots of dairy and green veg. Not sure about vitamin D. Lots of exercise though not weight bearing especially, and never smoked.

ferrier Wed 14-Feb-18 09:55:05

I finally found what I wanted to know.
My numbers are exactly average for my age and weight so nothing to worry about at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now