Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this look like tonsillitis?

(9 Posts)
smellyhouseelf Tue 06-Feb-18 18:57:38

Just what the title says really. Anyone here who knows what they’re talking about who can tell me if the photograph attached looks like a case of tonsillitis?

Tanfastic Tue 06-Feb-18 19:49:46

Yes the white streak looks like infection.

smellyhouseelf Tue 06-Feb-18 20:08:51

Any idea if it looks like that with both viral and bacterial?

Aragog Tue 06-Feb-18 20:14:44

You can get the white spots/streak with both forms. You'd need a swab taken to know for sure I think, though the GP will often take a history and your symptoms and make a judgement from that.

Do you have other symptoms?

smellyhouseelf Tue 06-Feb-18 20:25:57

Headache, sore stiff neck, tiredness. No fever. Don’t feel poorly but throat feels very sore and uncomfortable, like there’s food stuck there that I can’t swallow. Absolutely awful in the mornings (today is the 3rd day) but gets a bit better as the day goes on. There’s more white a bit further down but i couldn’t get a full picture.

Someone said if there’s white you MUST have antibiotics but I just wonder if it might go on it’s own. Or it will maybe get a lot worse and I’ll wish I went to the doctor sooner hmm

Theducksarenotmyfriends Wed 07-Feb-18 06:14:04

I'm currently ill with the same thing so feel your pain! If you've no fever yet they may not give you antibiotics I think. However if it's been going on for over 4 days I'd go to the doc to at least get a swab done as it can take a couple of days to get the results back. I've been sick since last week and waiting till thurs for my swab results!

DwangelaForever Wed 07-Feb-18 06:34:11

Could be tonsillitis or a very large tonsil stone! I've personally never had a tonsil stone that big, but have had tonsilitis look like that!

Twinkie1 Wed 07-Feb-18 06:48:39

Get some hydrogen peroxide solution from your pharmacy, dilute as directed, gargle every hour. It's vile but if it is bacterial tonsillitis the bacteria will be oxidised (this is the foam you will spit out) and hey presto you'll be better, if viral you'll have to ride it out with throat spray and paracetamol.

smellyhouseelf Wed 07-Feb-18 20:50:35

Well it got a lot worse. Both sides and uvula are now infected, also terrible earache. Been given antibiotics. So much for powering through 😡

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now