Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

High temp after pneumonia

(12 Posts)
digestivate Tue 06-Feb-18 13:54:05

Hi mumsnet, I'm after some advice please.

I have recently recovered from a bout of pneumonia, having felt considerably better for about a week. Last night, however, I came down with a high fever, muscle pains, shivering, sore throat and cough and have a temperature of 40. In short, I feel horrendous.

Do you think I need to go back to the doctor with these symptoms or just wait it out and rest at home? What would you do?

Many thanks!

Medeci Tue 06-Feb-18 13:58:20

Go back to Dr. Perhaps the pneumonia never went away and you need more, or different, antibiotic.

digestivate Tue 06-Feb-18 14:15:36

Thanks medeci, that's what I was wondering. I'll have to wait til tomorrow for Doctor unfortunately

Medeci Tue 06-Feb-18 14:38:27

Could you phone surgery and ask for advice? Might not be a good idea to wait till tomorrow if you've got a temp of 40C and recently had pneumonia - i'd be worried about sepsis.

digestivate Tue 06-Feb-18 20:32:19

I have got an appointment tomorrow. Temp is down to 39 but still feel awful!

lougle Tue 06-Feb-18 21:36:37

Can you check your heart rate (feel the inside of your wrist)? What is your breathing like? To be honest, with a recent pneumonia and your symptoms, you should really telephone 111. You could have further pneumonia or even Sepsis, especially if your temperature is so high and you feel so awful.

digestivate Tue 06-Feb-18 21:42:21

Thanks lougle. I counted my heart rate earlier and it was 112 bpm. My breathing is fine but I have just been in bed all day so not moving around or anything. I have taken paracetamol and ibuprofen 2 hrs apart this evening and temp has come down to 38.1 but I still feel very sweaty/clammy. I think I will phone 111 if I wake up in the night and feel worse...I don't know! I'm not sure what 111 could do at this time? I don't want to be melodramatic!!

Fightthebear Tue 06-Feb-18 21:54:31

Any deterioration I would definitely call 111.

Could be a complication of pneumonia developing or as pp has said sepsis.

lougle Tue 06-Feb-18 21:58:43

digestive please phone 111 now, rather than later. At hospital, Sepsis screening would initially look for 4 signs:
-temperature above 38.3c -your temperature is ranging 38-40c.
-heart rate above 90 - your heart rate is 112
-respiratory rate above 20 breaths/min - I suspect yours may be given your cough/sore throat feeling horrendous, etc.
-white cell count <4 or >12/mm³ -impossible without blood tests.

You only need 2 of these to be classed as having possible Sepsis. I think you have 3 of these signs, just from your posts.

Please don't wait until you feel so ill that you have to get help. Call 111 now and talk to a real person.

Fightthebear Wed 07-Feb-18 09:32:46

Are you ok op?

digestivate Wed 07-Feb-18 11:31:49

Thank you so much for your replies, they were all really helpful.

I made it through the night with just weird dreams/sweating profusely but temp stayed stable. Went to the doctor this morning who took one look at my throat and said I have tonsillitis! Which makes sense! My temp is now normal at 37 and I've got antibiotics so hopefully on the mend now. It seems my immune system is just a bit rubbish right now due to the pneumonia.

Thanks again so much - I now know not to hesitate to call 111 if my temp sky rockets again! Pulse is back to normal now too. Hopefully I can get over this and get on with 2018!!

Fightthebear Wed 07-Feb-18 19:58:19

Phew!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: