Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Smear test post kids

(21 Posts)
Stickaforkinimdone Fri 02-Feb-18 19:09:09

I'm due a smear test; about 18 months overdue as a result of pregnancy and I'm now getting round to it
Since the last one I've had 2 kids and despite having got through the pain of childbirth I'm actually a bit scared.....

Never used to have any issues have smear tests but having needed stitches after both births I'm really dreading it as I'm worried it will be painful

Can anyone reassure me?!!

Justasec Fri 02-Feb-18 23:29:34

No less painful for me post birth. I was also far more matter of fact about the whole thing post-birth! You can always mention your concerns to the nurse/doctor at the beginning so they are especially kind to you, and keep in mind you are allowed to say "no, I'd like you to stop" at any time if it's too painful for you, and discuss with them what happens next. Make sure you keep the mindset of this is something you are choosing to do for your own health, not something you "have to" do, and you may find that helps you to feel more positive. Good luck!

FucksakeCuntingFuckingTwats Fri 02-Feb-18 23:37:57

Don't put it off. I have had three and it isn't any worse after kids than it was before. Its over so quickly and the nurse's need to get them done too..so they know what you are going through..I have always found telling them im a little nervous, makes them reassure me and settle my nerves.

I was late due to nerves after my last child and when I finally went. It was easy peasy and I felt silly for putting my health at risk and not just going.

NoSwsForYou Fri 02-Feb-18 23:40:48

I’m in the same position as you and feel so silly for being nervous. I had brutal internal examinations during labour, to the point where I feel teary and a bit shaky just thinking about them and the idea of willingly letting someone do that again makes me feel sick, and then I get annoyed with myself all over again!! I’ll book mine on Monday if you books yours??grin

spinningpenguin Fri 02-Feb-18 23:49:28

I had mine at 6 weeks post partum check, hurt just a tiny bit, much less than before I gave birth

Justasec Sat 03-Feb-18 00:12:16

No MORE painful that was supposed to say!! Friday night brain.

Stickaforkinimdone Sat 03-Feb-18 08:36:57

Thanks all!
I know I just have to get on with it and it'll be fine; feel like I've had enough poking and prodding around down there 😆

@NoSwsForYou I'm booked and in there for Monday morning....eeeek! Your turn!

BusterGonad Sun 04-Feb-18 15:28:17

I can't remember my last smear and I'm scarred to have one now as I'm worried about both the smear and the result! I know I sound stupid and I'd be the first to say so but I'm really fearful of it!

Afternooncatnap Sun 04-Feb-18 16:29:28

I'm in the same boat, got smear booked next week. They didn't bother me before but since a got cut during labour I feel there is a bit less stretch down there so I'm worried it will hurt now.

RideOn Sun 04-Feb-18 16:31:33

I think it was easier after!
Not because I am a gaping chasm but because I am not so bothered now after examinations, sweeps, delivery and postnatal check!! Smear was not really registering!

Minimonkeysmum Wed 07-Feb-18 10:02:18

I had mild ptsd after giving birth (due to a sweep that I didn't consent to) and had 2nd degree tear and stitches. I was concerned it would be awful, but if anything it was easier afterwards.

You can ask the nurse to talk you through what will happen, and ask them to use a different sized speculum if you like. You should be allowed to be in control - so make sure they know you're nervous and they should take it into account.

PurplePotatoes Wed 07-Feb-18 20:38:17

I've just had one after 2 DC and dis find it a little painful which I never have before BUT the nurse did say it was just due to my cervix being higher up at that point which could happen before or after giving birth.
I was much more relaxed about the whole thing than before DC though.

BusterGonad Wed 07-Feb-18 23:05:10

Mines booked for Tuesday and I've got a real feeling of impending doom as I've left it so long, I just feel like I'm expecting bad news even though I've had no symptoms and have had a MRI on my small bowel and a colonoscopy and millions of blood test these past two years (Crohns) which of course isn't my cervix but surely anything hideous would've been picked up?!?!

Stickaforkinimdone Fri 09-Feb-18 13:58:48

Update: I went....and it was awful 😩 absolutely awful
However I'm wondering if actually it was painful because of the nurses technique....the only way I can describe it is that it felt like she was trying to catheterise me with the speculum; made me absolutely yelp out in pain

Just hoping she got a good enough sample and then at least I can forget about it for 3 years

BusterGonad Fri 09-Feb-18 21:04:49

I did not need to read this Op....bloody hell!!!!!!

Stickaforkinimdone Fri 09-Feb-18 22:28:13

Sorry sad
But it was quick! So that's good, and I'd still take the pain any day over hideous cervical cancer

BusterGonad Tue 13-Feb-18 15:17:02

I had mine today, I felt so stupid for leaving it so long but the nurse was very kind, it was a bit uncomfortable and I have a slightly sore tummy now but I'm so glad I did it. I'm a bit worried about the results but I'm just so glad I've eventually got it done.

BusterGonad Tue 13-Feb-18 15:24:11

Just to add I've got no reason to be worried, I'm just a worrier when it comes to my health!

Kaylasmum49 Wed 14-Feb-18 07:31:59

*buster, --how long ago was your last smear?

BusterGonad Wed 14-Feb-18 17:01:04

I think about 8 years! She did say but I can't remember!

BusterGonad Sat 17-Mar-18 18:33:14

Mines all clear, just in case anyone is interested! 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: