Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low b12

(7 Posts)
yourhavingagiraffee Tue 23-Jan-18 22:37:15

Called for bloods results and receptionist mentioned low b12 and I have to see a doctor.

I can't see my doctor until end of next week.

I have never heard of this?

WetsTheVet Tue 23-Jan-18 22:40:47

I have an autoimmune disease called pernicious anaemia which causes a b12 definciency. B12 is a very important vitamin and a lack of it can make you very tired, unable to focus, short of breath, have tingling extremities, brittle hair and dry skin. It may be that your doctor prescribes sublingual drops that you put under your tongue daily, or you may need injections.

yourhavingagiraffee Tue 23-Jan-18 22:44:07

I had bloods done as I've been experiencing extreme itching and bloods to check liver was clear, I'm also experiencing rib and back pain.

I am 16 weeks postpartum, itching, fatigue etc was put down to hormones.

Hopefully see what doctor says when I visit, got myself into a panic earlier.

WetsTheVet Tue 23-Jan-18 23:33:05

Yes don't worry it's very treatable and you will notice a world of difference when you get your b12 levels up. In the meantime you could try buying some from shops like Holland and Barrett if you don't want to wait to see the doctor.

mumof06darlings Wed 24-Jan-18 00:44:38

I had this and every night come 9 o clock, I was sound asleep. I could not function beyond 9. My level was gone to 88. I was just on a low level of exhaustion. I was put on injections and it took 2-3 weeks for it to make a noticeable difference but now I know to keep an eye on it. It's v v tiring. I was expecting at the time.

Sunshine4677 Wed 24-Jan-18 08:08:00

I also have pernicious anaemia. I was diagnosed when I had severe anaemia during a pregnancy 12 years ago. I have 10 weekly injections and echo what previous posters have said about it being very treatable smile

whichwayisout Wed 24-Jan-18 08:38:44

Thanks everyone, will hopefully get more info from doctors as I think few tests came back that need spoken over with.

Just hope whatever the results are could be the cause of the itching cause it's driving me insane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now