Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Strange panicky sensations

(7 Posts)
YouveCatToBeKittenMe Mon 22-Jan-18 16:46:57

I have had a bad cold since Friday, and I have a really bad cough. Last night I couldn’t sleep at all as every time I was about to drop off I kept getting in a panic about clearing my throat and then not being able to. This made me cough a lot and I was up all night. I’ve tried hot drinks and trying to distract myself but I’m so tired today.
I don’t know what’s causing this, I’ve been off work today as I’m still coughing but I haven’t been able to sleep. I’m worried I’ll not sleep tonight either. I’m not really prone to panic attacks and I’m not sure why this is happening. Does anyone have any suggestions?

sirlee66 Mon 22-Jan-18 16:49:41

Aw I'm sorry it's worrying you! Have you tried benalin (sorry can't spell!) Mucus cough?

It brings it all up (gross) but if you take it in the afternoon, hopefully you have bought up most of the junk by bed time and in a better position as you're in control.

Good luck!!

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Mon 22-Jan-18 18:24:34

Thankyou
I’ve got some tickly cough syrup which doesn’t do much. It’s mostly just the thought that I should be able to clear the phlegm, but there isn’t actually much there
I’ll try benylin tomorrow if this doesn’t work.

LittleLights Mon 22-Jan-18 18:28:16

The lack of sleep is heightening the panicky feelings.

I have such an awful time with panic attacks if I'm tired or over tired.

FuckyNellYaBastad Mon 22-Jan-18 18:30:41

If you can find it take some j collis Browne. It’s an old remedy for coughs and upset stomach - it’s great for soothing me when I’m just a bit anxious. It tastes like Galloways if you remember that?

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Mon 22-Jan-18 19:19:47

Thankyou for all the replies
I’ll look out for that remedy too @FuckyNellYaBastad (that feels a bit wrong to type out!)
I’m hoping I’ll just be so tired I’ll sleep through but as I’m already feeling a bit panicky whilst up and doing stuff I think I’ll be worse when I stop to rest.

FuckyNellYaBastad Tue 23-Jan-18 22:18:36

Did you get some op?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now