Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

IBS

(7 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Sat 20-Jan-18 11:10:09

I think I have IBS. I have pretty much all the symptoms (gassy, alternating constipation/diarrhoea, nausea that is usually relieved by a BM, stomach cramps etc) I was just wondering if anyone here has it and what you recommend to help it? I take Buscopan when I’m having particularly bad cramps but is there anything else I can take? Also any changes to diet that can help? Thanks in advance!

ginghamstarfish Sun 21-Jan-18 22:50:58

Hi, I have IBS, had colonoscopy to check all was ok then basically the NHS just gave me some diet info. I worked out for myself that it was good not to have coffee first thing, not to have lots of milk first thing (so have almond or soya milk on cereal). Can have both later in the day though. Keep a food diary and see if you can work out if any foods make you feel worse. Best thing is taking Pysillium husk fibre, experiment to see which time of day works best for you. I have 2 teaspoons in water about an hour before the evening meal.

kpnutts Tue 23-Jan-18 20:28:00

I’ve found mints or chewing gum help me enormously with the nausea & cramps. I started getting symptoms about 3 years ago and was really struggling at work but having a pot of mints on my desk has been a lifesaver.

I’m also the same as gingham and avoid coffee & dairy in the mornings.

hevonbu Wed 24-Jan-18 03:37:50

Someone told me yesterday about her IBS (quite severe) back in the 1980's and that it was cured (apart from with help of the doctors) by completely changing her diet for the better. (The whole thing: vegetables, whole grain, no highly processed food or fast food, etc.)

treaclesoda Wed 24-Jan-18 03:39:26

Peppermint oil capsules have been really helpful for me.

Spam88 Wed 24-Jan-18 03:46:48

Have you been to see your GP? There are other more serious conditions with the same symptoms as IBS, so you really should have blood tests to exclude those.

Agree with PP that peppermint is helpful for cramps, although I find tea better than capsules (probably just psychological but there we go). Food diary is definitely a good idea to try and work out your triggers.

charliebear78 Wed 24-Jan-18 16:53:42

Best to go and get checked out at the GP first.
I do not really find much helps but these are the tips I have picked up along the way(20 plus years of having flare ups)
Avoid Stress, take Flaxseeds, Try the FODMAP diet, add more/less fibre to diet,limit Caffeine, Exercise.
The GP can prescribe tablets also-but for me they do not seem to make much difference.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: