Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Omg terrible Sinus Infection from virus

(23 Posts)
Bimbop5 Thu 18-Jan-18 20:49:06

Honestly, this is really just a moan. I am in so much pain. I came down with a nasty cold virus and then I started to feel better when wham! The next day I felt like a hammer had hit my face. Started blowing out disgusting coloured mucus. So I got a prescription for Amoxi/clav , just started this Tuesday night and am no better today. My face is swollen with huge bags under my eyes. The pressure is so intense I finally took 2 tramadols that I had left over from 2016.

Techically I've only had 2 days doses of the antibiotic and wonder when is this pain going to go? I have terrible fatigue and a nauseated stomach.

It seems the mucus has gone back to clear but it also seems stuck up there. Could feel it moving around last night. Anyone else in this boat?

Its horrible. ☹

MissConductUS Thu 18-Jan-18 20:54:31

After 48 hours on the antibiotic you should start to see some improvement. If it's not better tomorrow I'd go back to the doctor and see about switching to something else.

nothingbutwhitetests Thu 18-Jan-18 20:56:57

My sympathies, been there. It's not fun. The only thing that gave me relief was (nhs advice I swear) snorting hot salty water through each nostril to clear everything out before bed. Good luck!

Bec1302 Thu 18-Jan-18 20:57:31

Had it before xmas. I needed 2 weeks of antibiotics.
Im guessing you have tried steam? Hot flannel on your face?
I had to sleep on the sofa sitting up, lying down was torture.

ShouldHaveListenedInBiology Thu 18-Jan-18 20:57:36

Oh that is horrible, I have suffered very badly in the past with sinusitis. Here are my top tips: steam, steam, steam until your head is boiled, use vicks or olbas oil in the steam, I use a plastic steam mask from Boots which I find better than the old bowl and towel. I find eating raw celery and drinking peppermint tea helps, take extra care not to become dehydrated. Chewing airwaves helps too, and I was told by a nurse that taking an antihistamine also helps, and obviously painkilllers will help too. Hope you feel better soon!

goose1964 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:01:05

Another trick,if you can face it is to gently rub the outside of the sinuses, it gives some relief.I think my doctor told me this donkey's years ago.

TheHobbitMum Thu 18-Jan-18 21:01:06

I often get Sinusitis, I feel for you it's bloody awful! I second the recommendation to steam, steam & steam! I use menthol crystals or olbas oil in the water and a towel over my head & bowl. Keep eyes shut and let the steam loosen the gunk up so you can get some relief. If no better after 48hrs on antibiotics go back and see if you need to change them, they should start to work by then x

calabalamuc Thu 18-Jan-18 21:23:10

This could be an obvious tip but it was a revelation to me: when you blow your nose, shut one nostril and blow the other one, then swap sides. If you blow both nostrils at once, it kind of pushes the gunk back in.

ElanorGamgee Thu 18-Jan-18 21:27:26

I am on my third lot of antibiotics for a sinus infection and it still isn't clearing up OP so don't be afraid to go back.

My GP mentioned a steroid spray the first time I spoke to her but I am having twice daily nosebleeds so it wasn't appropriate for me. I am not sure what circumstances the spray is right for but it might be worth asking.

I went to see the pharmacist yesterday who told me not to take sinutab type medication (I hadn't been but was in agony so asked him what would be best). He said I couldn't take that either as it would make the nosebleeds worse.

backaftera2yearbreak Thu 18-Jan-18 21:29:26

I just had this exact same thing last week! Horrible. Got water bottle on my face paracetamol and ibuprofen alternatively every few hours and steamed my nose lots of times. You have my sympathy x

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Thu 18-Jan-18 21:32:09

I had a sinus infection before Christmas, the entire right side of my face was swollen and being pregnant i was limited on what i could take. It took 2 weeks of antibiotics to clear and the only relief I got was from putting cold compresses on my face, steam did nothing apart from make my face ache.

Hope you feel better soon

Bimbop5 Mon 22-Jan-18 00:01:06

Hi everyone, thank you for being so lovely with all your suggestions, etc. So I am feeling somewhat better but definitely not 100 %. I contacted my doctor and he sent a prescription to the pharmacy for a different antibiotic. I'm so confused though. I don't know if I should switch or should I stick this one out and see if in the next few days I feel better. I am able to go out and about now and I don't have any coloured mucus anymore. But I still feel face pressure, pain, and dizzy at times.

I've read that if you switch to a different antibiotic the bacteria can get resist to the first antibiotic. Is this true?

I've so far had 4 full days of antibiotics and took the morning antibiotic today. Maybe I should switch? So confused.

ElanorGamgee Mon 22-Jan-18 13:22:49

I think you should so what your doctor has suggested. No point in contacting them if you aren’t going to take their advice.

I have got a new prescription of doxycycline today for mine.

Bimbop5 Tue 23-Jan-18 02:42:24

@ElanorGamgee you are totally right. I've started the new antibiotic. I don't know how I managed to get through work today. I even had people commenting on how pale I was, and was I ok, did I have a headache etc. Felt like throwing up too. Weird.

TeddyIsaHe Tue 23-Jan-18 02:56:22

If it’s viral sinusitis you can take every antibiotic you want and it won’t touch it. Steam and painkillers are your friends!

Coyoacan Tue 23-Jan-18 04:12:40

Shame none of you would dream of taking homeopathic medicine, because even if it is just the famous placebo effect, my sinusitis was cured in 8 hours.

ElanorGamgee Tue 23-Jan-18 06:59:09

I don’t believe that water can have a memory Coyocan, defies physical chemistry.

Teddy, I understood that viral sinusitis was generally a short term affair, with bacterial taking longer to get rid of, months in my case.

I have had surgery on my sinuses, years of bother on and off.

Coyoacan Tue 23-Jan-18 14:24:49

I don’t believe that water can have a memory Coyocan, defies physical chemistry

Of course you don't. People in English-speaking countries don't.

ElanorGamgee Tue 23-Jan-18 17:45:06

Scientifically implausible and dangerous in my view. Dangerous in that people who seek out homeopathic treatments are less inclined to seek advice from a doctor. You don't need any qualifications to peddle homeopathy.

You don't mess about with chronic sinus infections, too close to the eyes and the brain.

Anyway back to the point of the thread. Are you feeling better today Bimbop5??

Bimbop5 Wed 24-Jan-18 03:25:42

@ElanorGamgee, yes thank you. I'm not 100% better but definitley way better than yesterday. No more pain meds needed! Woot!

Bunting9 Thu 25-Jan-18 14:14:18

Joining in here if that's ok? Day 8 of pain and pressure in head which was preceded by 9 days of large crusty bloody snot (sorry, TMI) but no pain, felt quite normal, although this was only a few days after being floored over Christmas and New Year with the horrible virus. Discharge now mostly clear just with a few blood specks. But biggest current issue is the postnasal drip which is giving me a really nasty raw throat and just making me feel horrific. Also really feeling it in my nose, you know like when you get that awful sensation when you accidentally snort swimming pool water...?!

Doc says 18 (bastard) days is considered norm for sinusitis and that most sinusitis is viral, although she gave me a delayed prescription for Amox which I have in hand. Also advised to double my usual dose of steroid nasal spray which I have done.

Any suggestions? Ride it out, steam, steam, and/or take the antibiotics or not?

My anxiety disorder is really not good with this....

ElanorGamgee Fri 26-Jan-18 09:00:23

Bunting. I wouldn’t take antibiotics if there was the remotest chance that they might not be needed. Surprised that you even got a prescription at this stage to be honest if it is first time sinusitis.

If you take them now and it is viral they could be less effective later on if/when you actually have a bacterial infection.

PollyCotton Fri 26-Jan-18 10:40:44

I find a hot compress helps my sinusitis. I've got a DIY "wheat" bag - a bit of an old pair of tights, filled with rice & put in a sock. After 50s in the microwave the relief is amazing. My other favourite thing is to use breast milk as a sinus rinse. I'm dreading my youngest DC weaning because my endless supply of magic sinus-curing potion will run out!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: