Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Laser eye surgery - anyone with personal experience?

(14 Posts)
fluffskin Thu 26-Apr-07 21:46:38

I've been thinking about getting this done for ages. However, I also tend to be claustrophobic and am worried that I will panic when my head/eyes are clamped in position. I'm getting to the stage now where I so badly want it done that I am wondering if my gp would prescribe something to stop me panicking in the middle of everything.... (visions of me moving my head and getting laser holes all over my face!)
There must be lots of mners who have had this done. What was it like? How long did it take to recover from? Do you regret having it done? I would so appreciate hearing your experiences, good or bad. Actually I don't suppose I would be that keen on hearing the bad (need an emoticon for 'scared, cowardly weed')

Dottydot Thu 26-Apr-07 21:56:10

OK, I haven't had it done - would love to but am also v. cowardly indeed... But ds's Dad has had it done and a friend of mine and both thought it was fab, have perfect eyesight and said it didn't hurt - was a bit uncomfortable, but bearable.

That said, I've not rushed out to have my eyes done (money aside), so will be watching for other people's experiences with interest!

costamum Thu 26-Apr-07 22:09:08

I had Lasik done 8 months ago and its is the best decision I've ever taken! I certainly do not regret it! I was really scared about moving my head or blinking etc, especially as the first consultant I saw (live in Spain btw) was really unpleasant and it took me a while to pluck up the courage to go back. Anyway I insisted on seeing someone else who was great and put me at ease.

Here, prior to the procedure you are given a mild sedative which 'helps' you to relax! The procedure itself is very safe - they don't clamp you head but they clamp your eyelids open so you can't blink. The whole process feels strange and not that nice but it doesn't hurt. If you move the laser will automatically stop so there is no danger of ending up with holes in your face! The hardest part I found was when they tell you to keep looking at the red (or was it green?!) light you automatically start looking elsewhere! Mad!

It was all over really quickly and the hardest bit for me was when I came out I just wanted to keep my eyes closed (they did not hurt though) - any light really bothered me. They make you sit down and relax for 1/2hour or so and then check you eyes and already you can tell that vision has improved. Once home you need to rest in a darkened room for 3 or 4 hours - good excuse to have a nap! When I got up I could see really well - it was a complete shock - no contacts or glasses! I even managed to watch tv that evening! You have 3 different drops to use for a couple of weeks and have to make sure you don't knock/poke your eyes etc but that passes in no time.

My only regret is that I didn't (or couldn't because there wasn't lasik back then) have this done when I was 18!

I would say go for it, I've now got 20/20 vision and am more than happy. Try the Ultralase forum - its got some interesting posts on there and let me know if you want to know anything else!

J20BABY Thu 26-Apr-07 22:20:46

i had it done 2.5 years ago, it didn't hurt when it was done as they numb your eyes, but it was very painful for about 4 days after and sensitive to light. after that though it was brilliant, never regretted it, i've gott near enough perfect vision and my regular optician was very impressed and said he couldn't even tell he had been done, no scarring on my eyes.

i went for the cheaper option, don't know what they offer now but the more expensive option is meant to be less painful.

i'd definately reccomend it, its one of the best things i've done!

pindy Thu 26-Apr-07 22:34:26

If you don't mind me asking how old are you both and what prescription did you have before the treatment.

Many thanks

X

J20BABY Fri 27-Apr-07 09:17:30

i was 22 when i had it done, not sure about my prescription but my eye sight was pretty badly short sighted when i didn't have my contacts in, i couldn't see people, i used to recognise them by the way they walked!
i was told i will probably end up needing glasses for reading in my 40s, but it is a small price to pay imo.

burek Fri 27-Apr-07 09:26:28

Had it done 18 months ago and it is the best thing I have ever done. I was 29 and was dependant on glasses/contacts. Like the others said, they clamp your eyes open and it is over pretty fast. There is no pain during the operation just afterwards when the drugs wear off. The worst bit was the week or so afterwards with light sensitivity and some pain. And remembering all the different eye drops for a month is a bit difficult.
TMI alert: I wouldn't recommend it if you are squeamish because you can see the scalpel coming in, and you can smell a little burning type of smell as the laser works. I know that might sounds yuck but it is something I wish I had known about beforehand.
I went with Ultralase in Cardiff and they were really fab. Looked after me really well before, during, and after the op. Follow up care was great too.

costamum Fri 27-Apr-07 15:22:44

I was 36 when I had it done. My prescription was high - -8.00 and -7.5 so you can imagine why I'm more than pleased with the results!

Anna8888 Fri 27-Apr-07 15:29:14

I had Lasik done when I was 36, nearly 5 years ago. I was -8 in both eyes and am SO HAPPY to be able to see all the time and lead a hassle free life after years of contacts and glasses.

The only proviso - get a very reputable surgeon.

Eleusis Fri 27-Apr-07 15:36:47

My mum had it done at age 60, and she is very very happy with the success. But, as Ann advises, she probably found the top surgeon in the Chicago area (she lives in Chicago) before she had it done.

fluffskin Fri 27-Apr-07 19:16:11

How do they keep your eyeball still??

costamum Fri 27-Apr-07 21:02:05

They don't - your eyelids are clamped so that you can't blink but you can move your eyeballs - they do put anaesthetic drops in beforehand so I guess you don't move them around that much. However, the laser machine uses a tracking device which will follow any movement of the eyeball - if the movement is too wide then the laser stops. (Obviously this isn't a very technical description but I understand its more or less like this!!!) The actual lasering itself only lasts a few seconds - maybe 30 at most if I remember correctly.

jatinsingh0000 Thu 11-May-17 13:49:27

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TDHManchester Sun 14-May-17 18:11:43

laser eye surgery is often marketed as if it were a boob job or a set of new finger nails but this is totally wrong. It is a procedure which has to be very carefully considered. If it goes wrong, and it can and does, then you are in big trouble.

There are several NHS eye facilities eg Moorfields in London and Manchester Royal Eye Hospital who both operate private refractory surgery facilities and these are the onles i'd be going to for this treatment regardless of extra cost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now