Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.
DM waiting 6wks for wet AMD injection: NHS v Private(3 Posts)
I'd be v grateful for any voice of experience on my DM's condition/situation as she's climbing the walls with worry.
She was diagnosed Thurs with wet AMD in both eyes. Consultant was v blunt and laconic about the whole thing - said she'd need monthly injections In both eyes (though one is worse than the other), gave her a leaflet and said 'you'll hear something in 6 wks.'
We don't know if that means she'll get the first injections in 6 wks or just an appt letter but the worry is this: even a cursory google suggests that wet AMD can deteriorate in days let alone weeks. At 76, my mum is an avid reader, loves learning languages, does Camino solo annually, relies a lot on her ability to read and get about independently - she is terrified that in the 6+ weeks till treatment her eyes will get irreparably worse.
She's happy to stump up the 1,700 per private injection - she can ill afford it but given the circs she's prepared to do anything to preserve her vision.
Our question is this: if she goes private for the initial 1 or 2 injections to get treatment started ASAP, does that affect her place on the NHS appt list? She simply couldn't afford to continue paying 1,700 a month for treatment.
I can't get advice from either the nhs hospital or private clinic till Monday (same consultant works at both). Would any of you lovely MN'ers give me some advice so I could help ease my mum's mind over the weekend? Thanks for bearing with my slight ramble....
Your best bet is to speak to the consultants NHS secretary on Monday , this is bound to be a question they’ve been asked before . FWIW I used a private endocrinologist last year and after initial treatment swapped back to NHS and it was an easy transition mainly because I had already got a letter in from my GP requesting an NHS appt . As your mum is already being treated in the NHS it should be possible to do what you are suggesting . You may find that the NHS sec is also the private sec as that appears quite common and does help with continuity .
Thanks, FloralNomad - that gives us a little hope so much appreciated. Hopefully we can get sthg sorted. With my DF recovering from cancer surgery, DM needs her sight!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.