Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

what do you take propranolol for?

(55 Posts)
ssd Fri 12-Jan-18 11:42:40

does it help with anxiety, specifically health anxiety?

my friend says yes, another friend says no and I'm confused.

Buddyelf Fri 12-Jan-18 11:46:21

I take it for anxiety. I have anxiety regarding most things (like a generalised anxiety, health included) and I was given it as when I get anxious I get palpitations. Just speaking for myself I love this stuff! I just take one in the morning and even though I still have anxiety I don’t get the physical issues and my anxious episodes don’t last very long. I feel a lot calmer and more level headed and I don’t dwell on things like I used to. It’s really helped me.

SwimmingIsMyLife Fri 12-Jan-18 12:47:28

I take it for health anxiety. As and when I need it, up to 3 x 10mg a day. It helps with the physical symptoms and that helps me rationalise the worry in my head. I find that if my heart is racing then my brain won’t listen to reason. Amazing stuff.

RLOU88 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:49:06

I took it when I used to feel a panic attack coming on. Really worked for me

FrancisUnderwood Fri 12-Jan-18 12:51:31

Generalised anxiety.

Worldsworstcook Fri 12-Jan-18 12:52:11

I take it for cluster migraines stemming from MS. Good stuff!!

catlover1987 Fri 12-Jan-18 13:35:09

I take it for anxiety but it only really helps the physical symptoms. They slow down your heart rate.

MountainDweller Fri 12-Jan-18 16:26:27

I take it for high blood pressure and tremor but it also helps with anxiety.

Mumagain2017 Fri 12-Jan-18 16:29:18

I take it for migraines and high blood pressure

TheQueenOfWands Fri 12-Jan-18 16:31:31

I take it for anxiety and panic attacks. It's saved my arse.

I also look after a lady who takes it for migraines and I'll take an extra one if I get a particular thumper.

SiliconHeaven Fri 12-Jan-18 16:33:32

Migraines mainly but I do also suffer from PTSD (panic attacks and anxiety) and high blood pressure

LemonysSnicket Fri 12-Jan-18 16:34:27

Wow, I have generalised anxiety and his has begun to majorly spill into health. Are there any side effects you lot have experienced?

tupck Fri 12-Jan-18 16:35:43

I take half a 40mg a day for anxiety and stress it's a friggin lifesavers for anxiety disorders

NoraButty Fri 12-Jan-18 16:41:50

I take it for anxiety. It's totally sorted out all the physical symptoms I had and the majority of the mental ones.

People say that I'm the calmest person they know. I don't always feel mentally calm as my default mode is to panic/worry/stress but it no longer engulfs me. I can quite easily rationalise things myself now whereas before I'd quickly spiral out of control. I love the stuff, I never miss a day taking it. I'm on one a day slow release.

wrinklebells Fri 12-Jan-18 16:44:05

I'm on 80mg a day for migraines. Not sure about it with anxiety but it's pretty good stuff. I stupidly reduced the dose until I wasn't taking it after reading it slows weight loss down and realised just how good it is when daily migraines came back.
My vanity has been put back in its box now!

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Fri 12-Jan-18 16:48:30

I take it for anxiety, my DD takes it for migraines

ClaudiaD13 Fri 12-Jan-18 16:51:08

I take 120mg a day for migraines. It kinda works. I also have anxiety and so I don't think it benefits my anxiety. However, I don't get physical symptoms associated with my anxiety. I think if you have the sorts of anxiety that makes your heart race you probably would benefit. My heart rate is like 50bpm

Buddyelf Fri 12-Jan-18 16:55:41

Propranolol doesn’t have many side effects but because they are beta blockers they slow your heart rate down which means I get tired really easily. I can’t do anything too vigarous and you also have to make sure your blood sugar doesn’t go to low as that can make you feel pretty awful. So no harsh exercise or fasting

ssd Fri 12-Jan-18 16:58:26

gosh thanks so much for the replies

I've had cbt and counselling but I still get health anxiety and anxiety in general, I thought everyone was like me until i began to ask friends experiences

my friend takes it for anxiety and a racing mind and she says it's a lifesaver but another friend says it can only be taken for short periods and not for anxiety at all

has anyone on here taken it for years and is there any side effects?

I dont think I have high blood pressure as I have white coat syndrome and my heart races at the gp's

Teacupinastorm Fri 12-Jan-18 16:59:10

Migraines. Only been on it about a month and am upping my dose slowly. It seems to cause me insomnia but it's helping the crippling non stop migraines that hospitalised me at one point so I'll deal with that for now.

MountainDweller Fri 12-Jan-18 16:59:45

Re side effects - makes me tired and very hot. I manage this by taking 40mg at night and 3 or 4 'micro-doses' of 10mg during the day.

Buddyelf I didn't know about the blood sugar issue, thanks!

BrigitsBigKnickers Fri 12-Jan-18 17:00:21

I used to take it for rather relentless ectopic heart beats/ irregular heart beats but these seem to have stopped so have weaned myself off them.

MountainDweller Fri 12-Jan-18 17:04:03

Oh and just saw your latest comment ssd and I've been on it for years. I think the side effects lessened a bit after I got used to it but I still get them in a milder form.

I was originally on another med for the high blood pressure and was switched to propranolol after developing a tremor (due to SSRIs, sigh, have given them up but kept the tremor ☹️). The fact that they help with anxiety is a bonus!

ClaudiaD13 Fri 12-Jan-18 17:04:28

Yes, I find they make me very tired. Sometimes lightheaded, dizzy and weak. I find taking regular smaller doses throughout the day better for side effects than the extended release tablet.

WindyWednesday Fri 12-Jan-18 17:06:55

I was on a high dose of migraines at 16 years old. Now I find this so scary that I took beta blockers. I ballooned in weight. It was awful. Had blackouts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: