Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

LLETZ / loop diathermy under general anaesthetic

(6 Posts)
OlBitey Thu 11-Jan-18 20:31:55

I have borderline CIN 2. Which from what I understand is on the lower end of the scale. General is due to the position of the cells needing to be removed, apparently.

I am not keen, partly as my abnormal cells don't seem that severe, and I would really rather avoid a general. I have heard it increases the risk of miscarriage too.

On the other hand I would rather avoid cancer.

Does anyone have any words of advice / stories to share?

HopeClearwater Fri 12-Jan-18 22:43:25

I had this a few years ago. I think it was for cervical erosion. Not CIN-anything. I recovered very quickly. A day or two to get over the GA. Can hardly remember anything about it, which says a lot.

roundaboutthetown Sat 13-Jan-18 06:40:27

I would have it done if I were you - over the space of my second pregnancy, I went from having a normal smear to CIN3. Prior to that I had 10 years worth of fluctuating smear test results, from CIN 1 back to normal again, with smear tests every 6-12 months. After the LLETZ treatment - normal results ever since. It's not fun thinking that despite what you are told about CIN abnormalities occurring slowly, that actually they either regularly miss them when they do smear tests, or that the cell changes can become severe very rapidly!!

Callmecordelia Sat 13-Jan-18 06:50:57

I had this done under general anaesthetic. They removed a very large amount, and it took a while to recover - I am not great with anaesthetics. However, I'd get it done, if only for peace of mind.

Callmecordelia Sat 13-Jan-18 07:07:20

Just seen your bit about miscarriage - ask at your after care appointment how much they removed. That's what is the important information. As I said, they removed a huge chunk of my cervix and no one told me. Was referred to a consultant as routine by my midwife as I'd had the LLETZ in the previous two years, and it took weeks. When I got there, it was the first time someone had read my notes since the procedure and he was very busy, organising scans to check things and talking about cervical stitches. However my cervix had regrown on its own, and it was fine, but if I'd known how much they'd taken off I could have had those extra checks a lot earlier.

BattleCuntGalactica Sat 13-Jan-18 07:20:31

Don't mess about with this, you need to get it done. You'll have to grit your teeth and bear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now