Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

17 year old with chest pain can anyone interpret his ECG?

(19 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Unicornsarenotreal Sun 17-Dec-17 17:03:11

My 17 year old son woke up this morning with severe chest pain and pain in his left arm. We went to our local walk in centre where they did an ECG, the doctor told us there are couple of things on the ECG that could be perfectly normal or they could indicate a problem. He's given my son painkillers and gaviscon and if the pain doesn't stop in 2/3 hours we have to take him to A&E and give them the ECG report. It's a long shot I know but I wondered if anyone could tell me what is showing up on the ECG. Thank you.

ToniMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 17-Dec-17 17:26:57

Hi OP,
We feel we should mention that Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting on here.
If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

2old2beamum Sun 17-Dec-17 17:34:38

Would just like to congratulate Tonimumsnet for her excellent advice. She is so right.Hope your son is ok.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:23:34

God go straight to a and e - I don’t think it matters what the ecg says. If he’s having chest pain it needs to be checked out properly.
Has he had a viral illness lately? Viral myocarditis is scary, acts fast and can be deadly.
Why take the risk - just get it checked out by the hospital - I can’t believe this dr just sent you home when he wasn’t 100% sure he was ok

Unicornsarenotreal Sun 17-Dec-17 19:32:20

Rainbow, I think this is why I posted because it felt odd the doctor actually gave me the print out of the ECG to take to A&E if the painkillers/gaviscon don't stop the pain. I don't know what to do for the best, what is the ECG saying that's made him give me a copy to take to the hospital if the pain doesn't improve?

WiseDad Sun 17-Dec-17 19:37:29

Most GPs work on a "most likely" basis so it's most likely heart burn rather than something worse so they treat accordingly. A&E docs I have seen, and good GPs work on a better, differential diagnostic, basis.

As pp says Go to A&E. end of.

PersianCatLady Sun 17-Dec-17 19:40:27

Is your son still in pain now?

Has the Gabiscon and pain killers stopped the pain?

BerylPeryl Sun 17-Dec-17 19:41:37

'Please would you work for free and risk your professional registration at the same time '
No, frankly. Only an idiot would. Follow the advice given by the medical professionals you have already seen.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:44:08

Beryl - that’s harsh. She’s clearly not been given very good advice as she doesn’t understand what the issues are and is still worried about her son.

Ta1kinPeace Sun 17-Dec-17 19:44:57

I have ZERO idea how to read an ECG even my own
BUT
having spent 24 hours in hospital before a student recognised that my intercostals and diaphragm (due to boring winter coughing)
had gone into spasm and In needed a minor muscle relaxant
I was in utter agony

have since discovered that yoga breathing exercises as it starts work miracles

muscle spasm does not fit A&E reading patterns - I'm thus ultra aware of it
have saved a couple of friends from A&E admission by getting them to ask the question

Rainbowandraindrops67 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:46:04

I’m sorry I’m not a dr so don’t know. The only way you will know is by going to a and e. You’ll not be reassured otherwise?

BerylPeryl Sun 17-Dec-17 19:46:41

Hmmm rainbow re reading it you are right. I apologise for being harsh OP and hope your son is OK.

PersianCatLady Sun 17-Dec-17 19:48:04

The OP was told to go to A & E if her son was still in pain in 2-3 hours.

If he is still in pain then obviously I would say go to A & E but otherwise why would you go if the pain has stopped?

retirednow Sun 17-Dec-17 19:50:28

I hope your son feels better.

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Dec-17 19:51:12

I don't know what to do for the best, what is the ECG saying that's made him give me a copy to take to the hospital if the pain doesn't improve?

It’ll be for comparison. It’s useful to have earlier ECGs to look for any changes. It’s a sensible move on the GP’s part and nothing to read too much into.

Has the pain stopped?

Silvercatowner Sun 17-Dec-17 20:18:32

Just go - you will not be wasting anyone's time. My son has a minor heart condition and we have gone a few times for monitoring, it is routine (for them). It is likely you will be seen quickly because in the vanishingly remote chance that anything major is wrong then a swift response is vital. In my experience the equipment they use to diagnose is straightforward.

chatterbox54 Mon 18-Dec-17 03:18:42

I had chest pain and arm pain and went to A and E three years ago. I was given an ECG and saw a doctor. The results were fine and they said it was stress. You should go to A and E

SD1978 Mon 18-Dec-17 04:23:36

Regardless of being able to read an ECG or not, you won’t find many professionals who will be willing to say it’s fine or it’s not- there’s a liability issue If someone gives you advice. If you’re concerned, just take him. They will repeat it and do a full history. I wouldn’t take or give advice on something like this, you need to do what you feel is reasonable.

glitterbiscuits Mon 18-Dec-17 10:45:35

How is he today OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: