Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Abdominal pains

(17 Posts)
Kaddy01 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:04:01

Hi there,

I've been feeling some pains now for almost a month. I got admitted into the hospital because I had pains which started up my back and then went to my stomach. The pain carried on to the next day, preventing me from walking upright or even eating.

The pain got so bad I had to go the A&E. When I got there all test showed clear, but yet I was still in pain. They admitted me and I had a scan. This showed that I have a 6cm cyst on my right ovaries and that it had hemorrhage. I had a scan beginning of the year which showed that I had another cyst on my left ovaries at 4cm and in 2015 that I had two small uterine fibroid. I also do experience pains when having sex.

The pain continued and they gave me ibuprofen and codiene whilst in hospital. Whilst still in the hospital I hadn't opened my bowels until a few days later. When I did try it was as if something was pressing on my stomach especially the area where the pain was. It just wasn't coming out. They gave me laxatives and suppositories and it didn't work.

After crying and screaming out because of how much the pain prevented me from walking, laying down or sitting they eventually gave me an enema. This did help after a while. But found that my body became so weak that I felt like I was passing out. But thankfully was relieved.

After been discharged. I returned home and was told to take ibuprofen. The pain remained manageable some days whilst others I found I was passing out. Loss appetite, constantly feeling nauseated and weak and just bloated. Each time I ate the pain would intensify and cause me to not move much.

I then had my menstruation and pain only got worst. I began having hot flushes, still feeling nauseated, weak even having out of body experience whilst sleeping on top of the abdominal pains I was already having.

I had to go back to A&E as I became so weak and pains was strong I wanted to know what was going on. They carried out a second scan and said the right Cyst had gone and that it seems it had possibly ruptured. They also saw fluid but not much to warrant any alarms of such. At this point, whenever I opened my bowels it felt as though I was giving birth because of how painful it was (never given birth). Each time I have to hold my lower abdomen so as to calm the pain.

Just the other day I experienced severe pains going up my vagina and rectum preventing me from walking. I could not roll or pull myself up the sofa or move. The ambulance team had to give me gas and air and even after that wore off I continued to feel the pain.

The hospital team thinks my pain is superficial as when they press my stomach I'm not screaming out. They said my recent scans show all clear so nothing they can do for me.

I would like some help as this is restricting my daily life.

Kaddy01 Tue 12-Dec-17 22:08:26

My apologies for the bulky message. I did try deleting and readding but I think as its a long message hence no spacing.

Please please, take the time to read my message and respond with your suggestions and comments.

Thanks a great deal.

LookingForwardToChristmas Tue 12-Dec-17 22:10:48

That sounds awful.

Can you see your GP and ask for a gynaecologist referral to see if you have something like endometriosis, as lots of what you are saying sounds so similar to what I experience?

Kaddy01 Tue 12-Dec-17 23:26:10

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your message. So sorry to hear I have seen the Gynaecology team. They're saying because my recent scans have returned all clear with cyst disappeared they are not able to look into anything further.

So at present unsure what to do next.

LookingForwardToChristmas Wed 13-Dec-17 01:22:58

But endometriosis isn’t diagnosed by a scan. You need to have a laparoscopy. Could you ask for a second opinion, even if just to conclusively rule it out? Your pain needs to have a cause of some description and what you are going through sounds awful.

Is your GP sympathetic?

SeaToSki Wed 13-Dec-17 01:37:17

Sounds like endometriosis, I agree with PP, you need a laproscopy to diagnose that. Go back to your gyn and ask (insist) on more investigations

Kaddy01 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:59:32

Hi Lookingforwardtochristmas,

When we went back to A&E lately the doc looked at me and said I'm not showing much pain for them to carry out anything. And also, that nothing surgical needs to be addressed as it's very superficial pains in having. It's not really there.

My GP is very unsympathetic, really rude it's unreal!!! My husband has been the one communicating with them and they haven't shown any concern to help whatsoever. They did say they could refer me for CT scan but that the next appointment isn't for a while yet.

I'm just lost as to what should be done.

Thanks so much for advice.

Kaddy01 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:02:48

Hi SeatoSki,

Thanks so much for your message. As seen in my message above. The hospital as well as my family doc are not willing to do anything at present.

They gave me two antibiotics that just making me feel worst than ever. Yet, one of the A&E docs said they weren't sure why I was given those and got such long dosage lasting up to a week.

LookingForwardToChristmas Wed 13-Dec-17 10:06:51

A&E doctors are not specialists and will not have the expertise or experience to diagnose you.

If your GP is unsympathetic and unhelpful, you need to find another GP to get the referral. Perhaps change surgeries if necessary or go privately if you can afford it.

Kaddy01 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:29:54

Hi there,

That's what we thought as well.

We've thought of moving as well but just wondering would any of them be more helpful really. But we'll look into that thanks.

SeaToSki Wed 13-Dec-17 11:41:36

Sorry I cant be of more help, but until you convince the doctors to take you more seriously, there isnt much to be done. You said that your husband has mostly been communicating with your GP, maybe book an appointment yourself and go and see him/her and cry all over them about the pain. Be very specific that it happens throughout the month but is worse during menstruation, be clear that it is agonizing and immobilises you. Be clear that you need more investigations, that they have a duty of care and that you wont let the matter rest. Ask for a laparoscopy to investigate.
Good luck

Kaddy01 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:46:10

Hi SeaToSki,

Thank you so much for your response.
Yes it will appear that I'll have to go in person and inform them of the seriousness of my situation. Hopefully they might look into some sort of help for my situation at least I hope.

I will keep you all updated.
Thanks again

ScreamingValenta Wed 13-Dec-17 20:51:04

It does sound similar to endometriosis, which as pps have said, won't show up on a scan. Can I recommend this web resource, which has really good information on getting a diagnosis and subsequent treatment pathway? It might not be that, but I think it's something your doctors need to rule out.

Endometriosis UK

Fintress Wed 13-Dec-17 21:03:22

You poor thing flowers. Given the level of pain you are in it’s unbelievable they haven’t given you a laparoscopy. As others have said endometriosis is not diagnosed by a scan. Definitely insist on being referred for one. Hope you get some answers soon.

JaneEyre70 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:08:52

If you can afford it, I'd go private. Book a private GP appointment and that way you will have time to explain your symptoms and concerns, and they have the facilities on site for scans etc. I think Winfield and Nuffield hospitals offer these services if you have one locally.

Kaddy01 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:28:11

Thank you so much guys for your feedback. I'll definitely stress it to them that I need to be seen and see where it goes.

My husband thinks I'm been too polite. It's my health, so I have to take the necessary steps to getting the help I need.

Kaddy01 Fri 22-Dec-17 08:20:27

Hi guys,

Hope all is well. I need some advice.
Firstly, I've had my appointment come through to see Gynae consultant in February. Does it usually take that long for an appointment for someone in pain?

Anyway, the main reason for me message is because the pain I'm now feeling is rather like there's a lump in my right side. Is say that because, whenever I move I feel it move or would have like a shoot sharp pain. Also, when I use hot water bottle the heat immediately radiates to that area. I'm no longer feeling nauseous at the moment or having difficulty with bowel movements off such just that this pain would come and go and feel very tender or sensitive to touch.

Is this still symptoms of possible Endo or something else? I even started to think Hernia or ulcer. I still experience pain when eating or when I've done a little walking. When laying down I also still feel that it is there. This is on my right side.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: