Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Chronic fatigue - do you work?

(12 Posts)
plotmissinginaction Thu 07-Dec-17 21:50:22

I want to find a job that won't wreck me. I was a teacher, no way I can do that now, I'd be back in my bed within weeks. I'm just so up and down and don't always know why, pain every day, often nausea. I really need money just now though. Has anyone found work that they can manage?

heyday Thu 07-Dec-17 21:56:38

I am a teaching assistant. Crap pay but the only way I can cope with my chronic fatigue is to be able to grab some rest during the school holidays.

plotmissinginaction Thu 07-Dec-17 22:04:15

How do you cope in the school? I don't think I could get through a day in there. I have chronic throat pain though and using my voice is hard.

SewButtons Thu 07-Dec-17 22:11:43

I am a nanny- I was going to do a PGCE but I know I wouldn’t cope with teaching with my health.
Nannying means I can structure my own day and rest when the children do- plus I work a 4 day week so I get an extra rest day.

LivingInTheSeventies Thu 07-Dec-17 22:23:33

Why don’t you work part time or do any job that has shifts and space them out?

PurpleDaisies Thu 07-Dec-17 22:25:32

I private tutored while I couldn’t work full time. What’s your subject? You could earn a whole day’s TA wage in about two hours of A level tuition.

plotmissinginaction Thu 07-Dec-17 22:35:01

Drama, not one people tend to want unfortunately although I did think about teaching trinity exams as it's one to one and not so demanding vocally. I can't sustain my voice for long periods.

CappuccinoCake Thu 07-Dec-17 22:42:48

I used to be a teacher and I wouldn't currently manage the constant alertness needed for a teaching assistant. There's just no "down in the day.

Ideally something officey where I can go at my own pace. But haven't found it yet.

I've lost so much due to cfssad

plotmissinginaction Thu 07-Dec-17 22:46:52

Yes it's not being able to stop if I need to that's the issue. Horrible illness, wrecked my life. I hate feeling so vulnerable all the time. And people really don't get it.

gleegeek Thu 07-Dec-17 23:03:02

Joining the ex-teacher not working club! I did tutoring for a bit - I'm primary - and found I didn't make enough money to be worth how ill it made me feel. Also resources cost me a fortune so my profit was tiny.
I'm constantly trying to think of something I can do from home whenever I feel well enough. Don't want to go back to ringing in sick stresses!

plotmissinginaction Fri 08-Dec-17 00:29:58

That's what I really need. So I can properly pace and not be pushing through all the time. I'm terrified of having to work when sick and ending up back in bed.

FellOutOfBed2wice Fri 08-Dec-17 00:42:51

Watching with interest. Part time teacher going through a flare up. Currently undergoing diagnosis/treatment options at Guys.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: