Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Magnesium help me find it

(14 Posts)
Poppyfields21 Thu 07-Dec-17 20:02:06

Hi,
I’ve read loads about magnesium online and am now convinced I need to get hold of some ASAP!

I’ve read that the powder form is best that you put in water and drink but I can’t find it on boots or Holland and Barrett? Is anyone able to help or give tips on what time of day and how much they take?

I’ve suffered insomnia for years and the doctors can find no health reason behind it so hoping this is the miracle cure! Any advise much appreciated smile

cathyclown Thu 07-Dec-17 21:08:29

I use one 200mg tab from H and B.

But only if I need it. They do work for me. I take them if I don't seem to be dropping off to sleep within say twenty minutes of settling down to sleep.

I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night/morning, I will take another then OR a multivitamin fizzy tab containing Magnesium, Aldi do a good one. It's ok to do so, well I'm still here!

Wonder supplement imv. But remember, sometimes the blighters just don't work, but most of the time they do.

esk1mo Thu 07-Dec-17 21:09:49

i use a spray by BetterYou, can spray on skin or in mouth

Floralnomad Thu 07-Dec-17 22:09:24

My husband takes magnesium citrate tablets ( 300 mg per day I think) ,the last couple of times I’ve ordered them from Natures Best as that seems the most economic way .

Cocolepew Thu 07-Dec-17 22:11:11

Solgar magnesium citrate from Amazon .

Poppyfields21 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:14:54

Thank you all that is very helpful! I have got very confused by all the different types of magnesium available and seems magnesium citrate is the consensus!

Floralnomad Thu 07-Dec-17 23:49:56

When I looked into it citrate seemed to be one of the easiest types to absorb .

Acrosstheuniverse123 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:57:33

Solved or biocare are good brands . Victoria health is a good website for quality supplements. I wouldn’t personally take anything from Holland and Barratt or Boots. A lot of supplements are full of fillers and not good quality. Magnesium Citrate is the best for absorption.

Acrosstheuniverse123 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:57:54

Solgar

santasbeardlookslikeicecream Fri 08-Dec-17 00:09:09

Natural Calm Magnesium from Amazon. It's really good stuff

maxthemartian Sat 09-Dec-17 21:26:23

Magnesium glycinate. Mag oxide is badly absorbed and will just make you poo.
The spray is good as is soaking in a magnesium salts bath.
Consider taking Vitamin K2 D7 alongside it.

SandAndSea Sat 09-Dec-17 21:31:27

I've taken Nature's Own tablets before. They're food state so easily digested.

Bettertobehealthy Sun 10-Dec-17 17:42:38

Hi Poppy ,

vitamin D deficiency is also thought to be associated with insomnia. Have you had your Vit D blood levels tested. It is a quick easy test.

Here is a thread which many people describe their insomnia , AND , how vitamin D helped. Not forgetting that magnesium is a co-factor of Vitamin D . We are often deficient in both.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2421492-Vitimin-D-can-it-have-this-effect

Hope that is helpful.
Many people here in the UK, have low levels.
I have posted on quite a few threads regarding low Vit D, just search my nickname , here on Mumsnet or on Google. or get back to me if you need more info.

BTBH

Poppyfields21 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:21:17

@Better thank you so much for posting so much info! I will look in to it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now