Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any vitamin D experts about please?

(9 Posts)
ImInABubble Thu 07-Dec-17 16:06:23

I am just wondering what dose I should take?

Bit of history: ( 47 year old woman, fibromyalgia, bowel problems as well as other problems, on vitamin B12 injections for the past 10 years)

October 2013: diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency level 18
January 2014: after a course of loading doses and supplementing at 20,000 units per week level 41

I have taken vitamin D supplements all this time, sometimes 20,000 units per week or 10,000 units (on advice from a dr)

Today: had a private test this week and level is now 62 nmol/L
(ref range 50 -200)

so this is now in the normal range but I think it needs to be higher so not sure what dose to take as for nearly 3 years, I have been on a highish dose and have not really risen all that much, I dont think.

Anyone have any advice on what dosage to buy?

thanks

HeyMacWey Thu 07-Dec-17 16:13:35

Not an expert, but I'd recommend taking a minimum of 3000iu per day on a long term basis.

(I have fibro/me/low b12 and vit d)

I buy the high strength vit d 3 from healthspan rather than using prescription ones as it's more cost effective that way.

SnowBallsAreHere Thu 07-Dec-17 16:20:17

I use this daily

Medeci Thu 07-Dec-17 16:59:07

Another recommendation for Better You spray smile
I had my vit d tested lasted year through their site. It came back OK at 66 nmol/L but I wanted it between 100 -140 to help protect against respiratory infections/flu.
BY advised 6000 iu (2 sprays) a day for 4 weeks to get the level up then 3000 a day to maintain it.
When i retested a year later it was 120 nmol/L so I'm happy with that and will continue with 3000 a day with a break in the summer, if I can get enough sun.

PaintingByNumbers Thu 07-Dec-17 17:02:05

Those arent great doses, I take 5000 iu daily, altho even that leaves my levels in the 60s. The spray looks good!

Medeci Thu 07-Dec-17 17:09:32

OP just noticed you've said you have bowel problems, so perhaps you're not absorbing the vit d.
The spray might be better as it would bypass the digestive system

YNK Thu 07-Dec-17 17:16:54

5000iu D3 (Drs Best is good) to start with, increasing to 10000iu by second week. Cofactors K2Mk7 and magnesium should also be taken.

My level rose from 45 to 145 in 2 months.

AlexGreen Fri 08-Dec-17 09:00:55

People have very different responses to the amount of Vitamin D that they take - maybe 10:1 difference - so what matters is the blood level

If you take more than 2,000 IU ( 50 micrograms ) of Vitamin D each day, then find out about co-factors like Vitamin K2, Magnesium, Zinc & Boron. These help reduce the amount of calcium in your arteries and send it to your bones !

To read more, search online for:

Grass Roots Health . Download their "Call-To-Action"
Vitamin D Wiki . Effect of Vitamin D on 70+ illnesses
GreenVits . See the blog: "How Much Vitamin D Do I Need ?"
Vitamin D Council . See "Health Conditions"

Bettertobehealthy Sat 09-Dec-17 18:25:15

Hi , Iminabubble ,

Actually you have not been on a 'highish' dose You have been on a lowish dose, let me explain.

In sunshine ( our normal source of Vitamin D) , our skin will make about 10,000 to 20,000 IU per day . It takes about 20 mins or so , for any patch of skin to saturate, so, IF you sunbathe , on both sides , in strong sunlight your body can make 20,000 IU. More than say 1/2 an hour is excessive , in strong sun , on any particular bit of skin. IF you are white skinned. There is no need to burn , or become red , etc.

Our second source of Vitamin D , is food , absorbed via our intestines , it is , or likely to be about 20 % of our provision, depending upon our diet. Vegetarians will likely have a lot less from food , it is not present in fruit or veg. and only tiny amounts in eggs. ( there is some in wild oily fish, but farmed fish is much depleted , only a 1/4 of the level )

Supplementation , via capsules or tablets or spray can give us more. Many people with absorption problems will use a spray because it goes directly into the bloodstream and bypasses the digestive system.

You have said that you do have digestive problems , and low B12 does suggest Pernicious Anaemia , which is considered to be an autoimmune problem of the gut. or possibly you have a fat digestion ( bile) problem, hindering reuse of the B12 that is already in your system. Both of these problems may result in reduced Vit D absorption through the gut.

A healthy 75 kg adult can expect their blood level of Vitamin D to be a raised by about 25 nmol/L for every 1000 IU of supplementation per day over the long term. There is a great deal of variability. SOME people will exceed that , some will have a much lower response.

It seems that you have a response at the lower end , and may need to take more than average to achieve more healthy blood levels. The blood level should be in the region of 120 -140 or more. That is a normal blood level. It has been for millions of years. It is only recently that here in the UK , we have much less. If you were living an outdoor , old fashioned lifestyle , you level would rise to those levels. Indeed , they do ... we have measured it , in Lifeguards etc.

You will help yourself if you get there. To do that you have to take more supplementation , BUT , you do have to make sure that your blood level responds as you expect. You could take gel capsules , lets say 5000 IU per day , or you could take an oral spray say 2 puffs of 3000 IU per day. In 3 months your blood level will stabilise , with those constant doses. Don't stop supplementing unless your blood level is too high . Which looks very unlikely , from your description. Too high would be over 200 nmol/L . Just reduce your dose a bit. OR increase it a bit , according to your result , then wait 3 months , with your new constant daily dose, for your level to stabilise , then measure again.!

In order to measure your level , you could ask your doctor , but often they are reluctant to remeasure ... or, you could get a test from this NHS lab, a bloodspot , sent to the lab in Sandwell , City hospital Dudley Road, Birmingham. You will get an email with the result within a week. www.vitamindtest.org.uk/ unfortunately they do charge £28 if the test is not doctor ordered.

I have posted quite a bit here on mumsnet about this problem ( low vitamin D ) .
Here is a good thread to have a look at , many people with their experiences , how they supplemented , how it helped. Quite a long read , but lots of information. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2421492-Vitimin-D-can-it-have-this-effect!

Or search my nickname , here on mumsnet, or on Google.

Best of luck ,
and if you need any more information , get back to me .

BTBH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now