Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Would you pay a tenner for a flu jab?

(67 Posts)
LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 06-Dec-17 22:21:48

I don't qualify for a flu jab on the NHS - no underlying medical conditions apart from mild asthma, which I have been told isn't bad enough for me to have one as I only have a blue inhaler, not the brown one too.

I'm self-employed and really can't be taking to my bed for a week to get over flu - I'd lose clients and it would be a logistical nightmare. Local chemists are offering a flu jab for a tenner. Worth it?

NannyR Wed 06-Dec-17 22:23:17

No brainer really in my opinion.

CandyMelts Wed 06-Dec-17 22:24:14

Yup, I did. Can't risk any more time off work this year

stayhomeclub Wed 06-Dec-17 22:24:45

Yes definitely

MrsBonato Wed 06-Dec-17 22:26:28

Yes me and DH did this year.

bushtailadventures Wed 06-Dec-17 22:27:22

I get mine free, but if I didn't I would pay for it. The one and only time I got proper flu, I was in bed for a week, and I hope I never feel that ill again.

MadameJosephine Wed 06-Dec-17 22:29:03

Absolutely. Luckily I work in the nhs so get mine free at work but if not I’d pay for it. Both my brother and his wife were hospitalised last year with flu. My brother also has ‘mild’ asthma but ended up with double pneumonia and almost died

HeadDreamer Wed 06-Dec-17 22:30:37

DH did. Mine was paid for by work but I’d happy to pay if it was provided. I will do anything I could to not be ill.

timeisnotaline Wed 06-Dec-17 22:33:35

I did.

ProseccoPoppy Wed 06-Dec-17 22:33:58

Yes. I’ve not paid myself purely because my work covers mine and gets a private nurse to come to the office to do everyone’s. So I’ve had one every year for quite a while - currently pregnant so could have had a free one but work is more convenient. We do however pay for DH to have one. He’s a SAHD and if he’s poorly I need to take time off to look after DC, if there’s a chance the jab will help and no underlying medical reason you can’t I don’t see why you wouldn’t get it: £10 is nothing really and so worth it.

tigerbasil Wed 06-Dec-17 22:34:24

Asda do it for a 5er - or they did earlier in the year

BeeFarseer Wed 06-Dec-17 22:34:26

I paid £13 for mine. Well worth it.

OneOfTheGrundys Wed 06-Dec-17 22:34:27

Definitely. I did. Both my DSs (9 and 11) had the nasal spray privately too. That was way more expensive though.

Ginfiend Wed 06-Dec-17 22:35:19

Yes. Definitely.
We’ve all had it here! So have most of my friends. For a few years now.

Codlet Wed 06-Dec-17 22:36:09

Personally I wouldn’t bother. My understanding is that it’s not particularly effective (as the flu strains mutate during the flu season), but I’m happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable than me.

surreygirl1987 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:38:08

Yes definitely

BewareOfDragons Wed 06-Dec-17 22:38:40

Every year!

BelafonteRavenclaw Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:33

I did

Grimmfebruary Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:42

I got mine for free but I wouldn't have paid, and won't pay in future, I've been more ill from having it than not.

allthegoodusernameshavegone Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:48

£17 on mine, definitely worth it compared to time off sick.

Migraleve Wed 06-Dec-17 22:41:03

No. I'm 41 and not only have I never had flu but I have never even met anyone who has had flu. By that I mean real actual flu, not just a bad cold/virus.

I think the hysteria surrounding flu is ridiculous.

PurplePillowCase Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:32

yes. absolutely.
I take public transport every day and have people who depend on me being able to function.

the vaccines contain a few, predicted flu strains. it's usually a pretty good guess. and even if the prediction is not as good (like last season) it gives some protection.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:32

I did because I can't afford to lose a week to flu when my mother needs me.

tampinfuminragin Wed 06-Dec-17 22:43:48

I still need to get mine.

EllieFredrickson Wed 06-Dec-17 22:46:35

Yes - have done for a few years now and for DD since she turned 16. DH gets them free from work. All healthy normally but seems worth to do as much as possible to avoid it. Not only for us but also older relatives etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: