Talk

Advanced search

Skin cancer help

(5 Posts)
PhyllisWig Wed 06-Dec-17 21:00:54

My dm is having a dodgy mole removed on Friday. She has been naughty and has been ignoring it looking manky for some time now but after lots of nagging from my dad mentioned it to the drs who sent her on the 2 week pathway and they've told her it's coming out.

She's only seen a Macmillan nurse but my understanding is that you remove the dodgy mole as a basic, initial step regardless and this is then biopsied to see if there is anything to worry about.

I am a worrier and what's got me this time is my dad nagged and he's normally pretty relaxed. Also she had skin cancer about 20 years ago which was treated very successfully but I know it is prone to reoccur.

Because it's a mole I understand it's likely to be melanoma? Which is fine if it's caught in the early stages but not if it's caught late? She's adamant that it's not itchy, it's not bleeding (like it did last time) and it's not changed so seems fairly relaxed here which is why she didn't go to the gp earlier - she's usually fairly responsible over health stuff but does tend to the hippie.

I know no one can tell me it will be ok but generally speaking is the non itchiness etc a good sign or am I grasping at straws here. Normally my mum is the person who calms me down but obviously that's not an option here.

FriggyPudding Thu 07-Dec-17 09:30:35

The reassuring thing would be if, as she says, it's not changed. Change is the single most important factor, I believe. Some moles can look weird but if they're stably weird (i.e., not changing) can be fine.

FriggyPudding Thu 07-Dec-17 09:38:26

Just to add - hope all is well, OP, and I'm sorry you have this worry. It's hard. One moment at a time.

PhyllisWig Thu 07-Dec-17 18:23:34

Thanks Friggy. I think I'm reconciled to the fact it's something. It's whether it's spread I'm worried about really.

But she's a tough old bird who is still very active, positive and healthy and only just 70 so fingers crossed.

FriggyPudding Fri 08-Dec-17 09:00:43

Phyllis, if it is that, over 90% are cured by surgery alone (and that includes plenty of people who put off going to the GP for a bit). Even in worst case scenario there are some very promising new treatments which weren't around even a couple of years ago. So really it's not time to panic smile (easier said than done, I know).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: