Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian Cancer scare... :o(

(5 Posts)
ScouseBird8364 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:38:10

I guess I'm after some hopeful stories but in all honesty, I don't know - just know I've spent the past 3 hours in tears with worry sad

My mum (59) has been getting tummy pains, bloating and trouble with her bowels for about 2 weeks, after having her bloods taken and her CA-125 levels tested, they have today come back slightly raised and her GP is fast-tracking a scan for her, to be done 18th Dec to test for Ovarian Cancer sad

She is generally fit and well, has no bleeding / no other issues but the above symptoms... As you can imagine, we're all terrified sad

Has anybody (or know of) had similar symptoms / raised CA-125, and it's turned out to be either benign or something else??

sad

Chanandler Wed 06-Dec-17 18:44:23

Yes! In fact search CA125 on here - there were a whole group of us going through the same thing a couple of years ago and we were ALL absolutely fine.

Hang in there- it's horrible waiting but the oncologist I saw said CA125 is terrible for false positives - it gets raised slightly with any inflammation.

ScouseBird8364 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:49:29

Thank you for replying Chanandler, and that sounds so, so reassuring, thank you, can I ask though were you guys generally post-menopausal, only it's less common anyway in younger women? xx

Chanandler Wed 06-Dec-17 19:10:47

No I think we were pre-menopausal, but my oncologist at the time said it kicks up huge numbers of false positives in general because lots of cysts, infections etc cause inflammation which causes it to rise.

I wish I could promise you it's nothing, but I CAN honestly say it's not panic stations yet - there could very well be another harmless explanation.

I feel for you - I remember how terrified I was at the time.

Thymeout Wed 06-Dec-17 19:28:08

Even a benign cyst can cause raised Ca125, if it is rubbing on other organs. Most cysts are benign. It's good that your mother's GP has tested her blood and fast-tracked a scan. I think they're having an ov ca awareness drive. A lot of women have been diagnosed late because their GPs have focused on bowel problems, because they're more common.

I had a scare 3 years ago, with a v large tumour which could actually be felt. It was making me look pregnant. No other symptoms. It turned out to be something called 'Borderline', abnormal but not malignant cells. 'Cured by surgery' and a 98% 5 yr survival rate. My Ca125 was 130. I think normal is around 30. I'm post-menopausal, by some way!

The waiting is horrible, but fingers crossed you'll have good news for Xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now