Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Painful and bloodshot eye

(8 Posts)
RustyPaperclips Wed 06-Dec-17 01:13:55

My right eye has been very sore for the last couple of days. It hurts every time I blink and feels very sore at the root of my eyelashes. There is no discharge but my eye looks very bloodshot. I can't see (no pun I promise) an eyelash or anything else irritating my eye.

I did have a burst blood vessel in the same eye a few years ago but I was told it would clear up on it own. Any advice? I have a job interview coming up and the last thing I want is a really bloodshot eye

Bloomed Wed 06-Dec-17 01:19:36

Could it be eye dryness? Have you tried something like lacrilube to soothe it?

RustyPaperclips Wed 06-Dec-17 01:26:18

I haven't tried lacrilube before but I will look it up. I do suffer from dry eyes if I've spent too long at the computer, but this feels different. It's hard to explain but it feels like each individual eyelash is aggravated and now I have a really bloodshot eye

Bloomed Wed 06-Dec-17 01:39:08

There's also a thick paste like lacrilube with an antibiotic in there you can get behind counter. Might also be worth checking eye pressure etc with doctor or optician?

Bloomed Wed 06-Dec-17 01:46:15

I should also say that when I had extreme dryness I had very similar symptoms to you.

RustyPaperclips Wed 06-Dec-17 01:49:11

Thank you for the advice Bloomed, I am ashamed to say that I have been too busy to book a check up with my optician, but I will try and book an appointment this week. I really shouldn't have left it so long anyway

Bloomed Wed 06-Dec-17 01:55:45

Maybe try something like lacrilube and hot compresses to soothe while you wait for an appointment?

chipmonkey Wed 06-Dec-17 03:08:27

Optom here. Can't obviously say what it is without seeing but if it's sore at the root of the eyelash, it may be a blocked meibomian gland. Best advise is to book in for a check up but in the meantime keep it well-lubricated and use a hot compress like an eye-bag, which is more reliable and effective than the old hot-cloth method. Hycosan or hyabak drops are a good lubricant although a gel like Vidisic, Vitapos or lacrilube is good at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now