Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Been diagnosed with flu bring your cures here please!

(10 Posts)
MrsStinkey Mon 04-Dec-17 14:44:31

Please help me! After being ill for a week and basically bedridden these past couple of days DH forced me to see the gp. I ache all over, have the sorest throat, dizzy, blocked ears, exhausted and no appetite just for a start. Gp has diagnosed what she called 'proper flu'. She's prescribed antibiotics in case of an underlying bacterial infection in my throat and voice box and has advised to keep going with fluids, paracetamol and anti inflammatories. Does anyone have any more suggestions as to what I can do/take to get better quicker? Gp seemed to think I'll be like this for a couple of weeks but I just can't be ill for that long! Please someone give me some sort of miracle cure!

BrieAndChilli Mon 04-Dec-17 14:51:35

God knows, I’ve been ill for over a week and have now lost my voice.
A boiling hot bath helped ease the aching for a short while. I’ve just been taking the maximum amount of various painkillers that I can, I havnt eaten a proper meal in about 5 days which isn’t helping but food just makes me feel sick, DH has been making me hot lemon and honey which I’ve been sipping and I can stomach a cup of tea.
Rest as much as you can, the other day I put a pizza in the oven for the kids (after being asleep for 3 hours) and it was so tiring I had to sit on the kitchen floor to recover!

Today I have laid on the sofa and not moved and I still feel shattered.

Get well soon! Someone will be along in a minute to day you can’t possibly have flu as you are able to type away on mumsnet! hmm

Fairylea Mon 04-Dec-17 14:54:00

I think all you can do is rest to be honest! Sorry!

I had glandular fever and bacterial tonsillitis at the same time last Christmas (that was fun confused) and I spent about 2 months doped up to my eyeballs on painkillers and strong antibiotics. With hindsight I struggled through more than I should have done - pressures of Christmas and family etc - I should have rested more and gone to bed earlier.

Hope you feel better soon. flowers

MrsStinkey Mon 04-Dec-17 15:03:26

The gp has said to rest. She was all for signing me off my work and everything! I really am hoping to feel better in the next couple of days. Wishful thinking? Don't think poor DH can handle another morning of tears. He's taken time off work to look after DDs as well as I'm just not physically capable. @Brieandchilli let them come and say it. Typing on mumsnet is all I can do, it's keeping me sane!

Outbackshack Mon 04-Dec-17 15:06:58

Im on day 6 of this sad joints not aching anymore but throat feels like it is made of razor blades and every swallow, yawn or sneeze is agony. Im on max pain meds plus the good strepsils...not flavoured just blue. They numb throat just enough for me to eat. Has been hell sad

moreismore Mon 04-Dec-17 15:07:27

Vitamin C, Zinc, chicken soup made with proper stock (what you really want is bone broth)
Lots of rest and hydration

AuldHeathen Mon 04-Dec-17 15:47:30

If your husband is caring for the children, then go to bed. Your rest on the sofa is not necessarily as good. Keep warm but not too hot obviously, drink lots of fluid, use painkillers as GP said. Use hot water bottles and warm baths, if they help the pains. Real flu is the absolute pits. I’ve had it a couple of times. I am ‚High risk‘ now so get the jab. TBH l‘d not rush back to work as soon as l feel better. Take the sick lines as offered and see how it goes. Once you are back to normal, still get to bed early , get help with the children etcetera. If you feel tired, then rest up. Take care, OP.

mrsreynolds Mon 04-Dec-17 17:56:35

Don't worry about food
Fluids....plenty of fluids
Pain relief
Humidifier in room at night if you have one
Try and use soluble pain relief if you can
Night And day nurse are great

mrsreynolds Mon 04-Dec-17 17:56:53

Oh and difflam spray for throat

MrsStinkey Sun 10-Dec-17 11:35:32

I'm up! Have showered and put a onsie on and I managed to eat a small lunch yesterday plus an actual dinner. I think I might be turning the corner! Have taken all advice of vitamin c, zinc and throat spray and my sore throat has gone just have a niggly cough. My aches and pains are almost gone as well. DH needs to go back to work tomorrow so ill be back on the school run etc but going to try and take it as easy as possible this next week by only doing necessary things. Im getting the vaccine next year, will be worth the £10 to not feel like that ever again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now