Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cough has lasted 5 weeks so far...

(32 Posts)
dottyaboutstripes Sat 02-Dec-17 23:20:14

I just don't seem to be getting any better. Should I finally go and see the gp? I feel like I'd be wasting her time but it's really starting to get me down 😕

pfrench Sat 02-Dec-17 23:48:06

I've had one since July. Dr said virus in September.

MeltingSnowflake Sun 03-Dec-17 00:19:43

Yes - please do go to the GP! It's probably absolutely nothing, but anything that lasts so long could indicate something more serious.

I am sure you are fine and it's just something minor, but how much better will life be once the cough is treated and gone?! Good luck.

myusernamewastaken Sun 03-Dec-17 22:14:53

Ive had one since October.....it has got better but still seems to be lingering.....

WaitroseCoffeeCostaCup Sun 03-Dec-17 22:19:38

I'm on week 8...Dr have me antibiotics on a 'delayed prescription' on Thursday if it hadn't gone by Saturday hmm

MulhuddartDrive Sun 03-Dec-17 22:20:30

My 5.5yo has had a cough since October. It's hit the rest of us too but not take so long to shift.

OutToGetYou Sun 03-Dec-17 22:22:41

I've had one since before Aug (moved house in Aug and just know I already had it then).
Dr has an online message service - first message he said take decongestants, which I did but no difference. Next message he said go in and see him but I haven't found time.
It's annoying and is making me a bit tired but I don't really feel 'ill' as such. Constant throat clearing is doing my head in though.

clairethewitch70 Sun 03-Dec-17 22:23:42

I had a cold in January 2012. I still have the runny nose and cough, it never went. Been checked over, no reason for it, just lingering

dottyaboutstripes Mon 04-Dec-17 13:58:24

Sounds like I need to just wait it out .

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 14:15:05

Coughs can last for weeks. Sorry you feel rough but TBH you'd be wasting your dr's time. Anti Bs are not being given for coughs and even mild chest infection will clear up. A cough is the aftermath of a virus- it doesn't respond to ABs unless it's more serious like bronchitis.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 14:16:08

Check the NHS website. I'm pretty sure the advice is to get it checked out if a cough lasts for more than 3 weeks.

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 14:21:14

Coughs can sometimes be a sign of cancer. This is very very rare. In someone who has had a cold, and then has a cough, then it's viral. I know of people who have had coughs for 12 weeks and more.
The NHS site is covering itself for things like cancer which can happen rarely and in older people most often.

Most coughs last at least 3 weeks so can't see why the stupid NHS site (which is always out of date on everything...) tells people to rush off to their GP who can't offer anything anyway.
Better to have a chat with the pharmacist.

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 14:22:56

read this

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/hacking-cough-epidemic-cannot-be-cured-antibiotics-doctors-warn-nhs-wales-a7514991.html

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 14:24:31

and ignore the NHS 3 week comment! Honestly, if everyone who'd had a cough for more than 3 weeks went to the drs, no one would ever get an appt.

PaxUniversalis Mon 04-Dec-17 14:28:37

Do go and see your GP. Have you been having a temperature? Is it a dry or chesty cough? Are you coughing up saliva or sputum? Is it worse in the mornings/evenings? Does it stop you sleeping? Are you wheezing? Are you having coughing fits or are you just clearing your throat?

All of the above can make a difference to your diagnosis. I wouldn't wait. Have it checked out.

GreatDuckCookery Mon 04-Dec-17 14:28:43

Tbf Polly I don’t think it’s good advice to be telling people to ignore the NHS advice regarding a cough lasting 3 weeks. Surely the only person who can decipher what’s going on is the OP’s GP?

After 5 weeks OP I would get it checked out but that’s only my personal opinion obviously.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 14:28:45

I like to think the NHS may have better advice than random unqualified strangers on the internet.
Could be viral, could be infection, could be asthma. Could be anything. Nobody should diagnose over the Internet. The official advice is get checked. So I would.

OutToGetYou Mon 04-Dec-17 15:17:30

@PollyPerky - no-one said anything about wanting anti-biotics so there's no need to go off on a rant about them. Everyone knows a cold/cough is a virus and anti-b's won't fix it.
And we all know there is too much anti-b use.

That doesn't mean people can't ask questions.
In fact, some years ago I had a cough that lasted several months and in the end the doc gave me anti-biotics, and they DID work because the coughing had damaged something inside which had then let a bacterial infection in which was in turn making me cough (and be run down). So it is worth getting it checked after a while.

And people do get cancer you know so I don't think you should go around telling people not to have checks. There are other chest problems people could potentially have as well, or it could be an allergy, or asthma for example.

In general, we live in a damp cold climate so we're bound to get more of these things, but if it's worrying you, see the GP. (I tried the pharmacist, they told me to see the GP, which IME, is pretty much all they ever say)

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 15:20:36

You too are a random stranger on the internet.

The NHS website is very outdated in some respects. Not least their advice for people with diabetes, which says people should eat carbs and eschew fat. Even Diabetes UK is taking issue with it all.

A cough for 5 weeks has to be looked at in context.
Young person (under 65) who has had a cold, is not coughing up blood or green phlegm, has not lost weight, is not breathless (as with asthma) is very different from an older person who is coughing blood, has a temp, pain in chest or throat, has lost weight for no reason etc.

Use your common sense.

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 15:23:24

I think all these posts show is that people expect coughs and sniffles to clear up quickly when in fact they can drag on for months.

Out no, people don't know all those things about ABs which is why there are so many posts about 'should I see a dr.'

Research actually shows that even chest infections in younger people clear up as fast without ADs as they do with.

BlissDee Mon 04-Dec-17 15:27:06

I had a cough that lasted months - they reckon it was whooping cough. This has then aggravated my asthma - my cough variant asthma. So no wheezing only coughing

OutToGetYou Mon 04-Dec-17 15:32:49

"A cough for 5 weeks has to be looked at in context.
Young person (under 65) who has had a cold, is not coughing up blood or green phlegm, has not lost weight, is not breathless (as with asthma) is very different from an older person who is coughing blood, has a temp, pain in chest or throat, has lost weight for no reason etc."

The OP has not given any of that information, you're just imagining it and telling people what to do. It's dangerous.

My mum's friend died of lung cancer in her 30s, she had never smoked, but according to you she could not have got it as she was too young and didn't need to see a GP.

"I think all these posts show is that people expect coughs and sniffles to clear up quickly when in fact they can drag on for months."

No they don't. Define 'quickly'? Not one post has said "I thought this would clear up quickly".

"people don't know all those things about ABs which is why there are so many posts about 'should I see a dr.' "

You're imagining things again, no-one asked if they should get anti-biotics. You just started ranting as if everyone except you is an idiot.

"Research actually shows that even chest infections in younger people clear up as fast without ADs as they do with."

Now we need anti-depressants?

This post, and the questions people are asking, are not solely about people wanting anti-biotics, you clearly have some sort of mission you feel you need to educate the world with, the post is about whether people should see their GP. Their GP can field all the questions (if there are any) about anti-biotics, I'm sure they'll cope with it and don't need your help.

OutToGetYou Mon 04-Dec-17 15:33:46

@BlissDee - you can't have done, Polly has said so.

Wolfiefan Mon 04-Dec-17 15:43:14

I'm not for an instance suggesting the OP should march to the GP and demand antibiotics. Just that a lingering cough is worthy of a quick GP check.

PollyPerky Mon 04-Dec-17 16:19:00

Outtogetyou (no need for the hashtag, we aren't on Twitter)

All I will say is that you have chosen a wonderfully accurate name for yourself.

For someone who is so keen to tell other people they 'know it all' have you thought how your own posts come over? Go and have a think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: