Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

5 HTP 200gm

(13 Posts)
user1497997754 Sat 02-Dec-17 10:50:56

Hi does anyone take these tablets they are supposed to be a mood enhancer and help you relax they are a vegetarian alternative to anti depressants

Judydreamsofhorses Sat 02-Dec-17 19:02:24

I’ve taken them sporadically for years - for me they work well, and also help with sleep, so take them at bed time. I tend to take them from about now until March as the dark days really interfere with my mood.

wowbutter Sat 02-Dec-17 19:17:36

I take them and have done for at least six months now. I really like them. I am no longer taking anti depressant.

Footle Sat 02-Dec-17 21:16:17

Is there a downside to them?

Iusedtobecarmen Sat 02-Dec-17 21:26:19

I've had two boxes of these over the past few months(with an interval in between). I'm.not depressed but I was feeling a bit low about something. I think they kind of worked!
At first I had very vivid dreams
The biggest thing for was how they affected my sleep. Now I don't have any sleep problems at all but these really enhance your sleep. If I took at bedtime I feel asleep quickly and kind of spaced out and had vivid dreams but not as much as when I first took them.

Footle Sat 02-Dec-17 22:45:34

Thanks for that. A friend has used them successfully for mood and sleep problems. I'm not quite sure from your response whether your sleep
Is better or worse for taking them? Vivid dreams can be hard work.

Iusedtobecarmen Sat 02-Dec-17 23:25:38

Sorry didn't explain myself well!
My sleep was better. Fell asleep in seconds and felt,well really dreamy!!
It's hard to explain,as I do not have sleep problems and sleep well normally,but it really enhanced it.
The vivid dreams didn't disturb me at all. I was just really aware of them.
I normally remember my dreams, but 5 htp is another level.

Iusedtobecarmen Sat 02-Dec-17 23:27:01

Its quite an odd feeling(but not bad)

user1497997754 Sun 03-Dec-17 06:07:10

Thank you I am going to get some going through the menopause and it sounds as if they will help

abbsisspartacus Sun 03-Dec-17 06:22:18

Can you take them with regular antidepressants?

maxthemartian Sun 03-Dec-17 14:30:27

You can't take them with regular antidepressants as there is a risk of serotonin syndrome.

Branleuse Sun 03-Dec-17 14:38:08

I have, but 200mg is quite a high dose. You might well feel a bit strange if you start with such a high dose. I think 50mg or 100mg is a better dose to get on with and see how that is over the course of a few weeks.
With 5htp, if its going to work with you, it should start working within a few days

Judydreamsofhorses Sun 03-Dec-17 21:05:33

Yes, agree with branleuse, I only take one 50mg tablet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now