Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Has anyone had a squamous or basal cell skin cancer removed?

(12 Posts)
StillMedusa Fri 01-Dec-17 20:35:34

Having had one taken off my face some years ago (I'm only 49 but fair, freckly and burned to hell as a kid every year and have travelled a lot in the sun this year) I am 99% certain that the thing growing on my upper eyelid is another. My last one was whipped off there and then at the hospital, but there isn't a lot of skin on an eyelid :/

Footle Sat 02-Dec-17 21:21:20

Doctor , obviously.

StillMedusa Sun 03-Dec-17 01:00:38

? Sorry not sure what you mean.
I have booked a GP appointment after sending my DD1 a pic of my eyelid (DD1 is a doctor herself but not a specialist in skin cancer) as she told me to get it looked at pronto.

I think it will need removing, but no idea HOW!

JohnHunter Sun 03-Dec-17 01:48:28

Oculoplastic surgeons have some very clever tricks up their sleeves. They will find a way if it needs to come off...

ShovingLeopard Sun 03-Dec-17 01:53:50

I would advise a plastics specialist, rather than a dermatologist. I made the mistake of allowing a dermatologist to remove a bcc I had, and have been left with an awful scar. An eyelid will need careful handling.

Abouttoblow Sun 03-Dec-17 02:06:56

My mum has had roughly 25 removed over the last 20 years.
Most recent was on the side of her nose. No plastic surgery but they did a great job.

Footle Sun 03-Dec-17 06:52:10

Sorry, I meant you need to get a Dr's opinion - it almost sounded as if you weren't sure they could help!

user1471549672 Sun 03-Dec-17 07:03:30

No experience of removal from an eyelid , but second being referred to plastics if it's to come off. Dermatologist did both of mine . Unfortunately the scarring on my nose is still visible years later. Like you I'm very fair and would burn every summer as a child, my poor mum who didn't know any better would plaster my in Amber Solaire Oil to protect me....

underneaththeash Sun 03-Dec-17 08:26:30

They are increasingly using a new technique called Moh's on eyelid tumours as its more important to retain as much normal function of an eyelid, than elsewhere on the face. Eyelids have a protective role for the eye and also distribute the tears over the front of the eye and disruption of either of these roles can cause the eye to be damaged.

An ophthalmologist will be highly involved with your care as well.

JohnHunter Sun 03-Dec-17 12:46:24

I don't think it's likely that a dermatologist would be keen to tackle an eyelid even if you see them initially. You might see a dermatologist first to establish the diagnosis but it would probably be a supra-specialist oculoplastic surgeon (combined ophthalmology and plastics training) that did any of the operating.

LarkDescending Sun 03-Dec-17 13:23:03

I had Mohs micrographic surgery to remove an aggressive infiltrating BCC from my temple in 2015. This was at the St John's Institute, part of St Thomas' Hospital in London. They bring in plastics specialists if the case requires it. If you are in or near London I would highly recommend the care there.

sunshinesupermum Sun 03-Dec-17 13:29:51

I had one removed from my nose earlier this year at Chelsea & Westminster dermatology which left a discolouration rather than a scar where the graft was put on.

This week a new lump has formed on the edge of the skin graft and I have no idea whether to see a dermatologist (having lost faith in C &W as their after care was very poor) or a plastic surgeon. GPs aren't too good in recmmendations either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: