Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Mammogram recall

(22 Posts)
CharlieSierra Fri 01-Dec-17 19:50:33

I've been waiting for my letter and it came today, but it wasn't the letter I was hoping for. I've been asked to go back for further tests next Wednesday. This wasn't my first mammogram, the previous two have been all clear. I'm freaked out, Wednesday seems a long way off.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Fri 01-Dec-17 20:06:20

I was called back as well. I had another mammogram then had an ultrasound as well. I was given the all clear there and then, it was a cyst. I can remember the relief being told by the doctor. Lots of women are called back, it can be for a number of reasons, but we always think the worst first.

mumof06darlings Fri 01-Dec-17 20:22:28

My mom was called back and it was just a cyst

CharlieSierra Fri 01-Dec-17 21:12:09

I'm repeating to myself that 3 out of 4 recalls are given the all clear. It's hard not to panic though.

RebeccaBunch Fri 01-Dec-17 21:15:22

Ah it's rubbish - I understand how you are feeling op. My recall was "just a cyst" too. But it's a nerve wracking process isn't it?

Try and keep busy, your mind on other things. Worry won't bring anything good. X.

CharlieSierra Sat 02-Dec-17 10:19:58

I know that worrying won't change anything, but I'm struggling. I'm having a shit year, my DD has been seriously ill, its ongoing and she's needed a lot of support, plus it's been frightening and stressful for me too as well as tiring spending a lot of time at a hospital an hour and a half away; my dad is very unwell, he's been on the phone this morning and I'm probably going to have to go to him now. He's an hour away. Honestly wondering what fresh hell can descend next. <feeling sorry for myself >

Tanfastic Sat 02-Dec-17 12:05:30

Op, It's natural to worry, if you are the worrying type like me, I can only imagine what's going through your mind. It's hard to feel content when there is an element of uncertainty in your life (however minute).

What I do when I'm worried about something is try my hardest to keep busy or lose myself in a good film or book. Basically anything to pass the time until I can get the reassurance I need.

I'm sure it will be nothing or something simple as I understand it's very common for a recall. Just try and focus on that.

Do update us 😊

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 02-Dec-17 12:20:12

Op try not to worry. I was called back and it was the longest 10 days of my life. I couldnt think about anything else. I started a thread too! The vast majority who are called back are absolutely fine.

CharlieSierra Tue 05-Dec-17 18:41:48

Well it's tomorrow, I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. I feel permanently sick. So those who've been found to have 'just a cyst', was that through more mammograms and ultrasound or were needles involved? I'm very frightened about what procedures will be involved as I'm prone to vaso vagal episodes and on past experience could end up out cold and potentially having to hand over my driving licence for a period.

CharlieSierra Tue 05-Dec-17 19:53:23

Anyone?

CoperCabana Tue 05-Dec-17 19:59:28

They can usually diagnose a cyst from an ultrasound. They might use a needle to draw the fluid from it if it is troublesome (large/painful) or they want to be sure there is nothing behind it. If from the ultrasound it does not look like a cyst, they will have an idea of what it might be. If there is any concern, they might do a biopsy. I have had all these procedures and they are nothing to panic about. I was recalled again in January, so know how frightening it is. On that occasion, they did a quick ultrasound and sent me on my way. Good luck.

CoperCabana Tue 05-Dec-17 20:00:28

Probably didn’t make it clear that my understanding is they do not usually drain a cyst once confirmed by ultrasound.

CharlieSierra Tue 05-Dec-17 20:04:22

Thank you

CharlieSierra Wed 06-Dec-17 13:08:45

It was a cyst. They did drain it just to be 100% certain as I'm post menopausal and cysts are less usual in women of my age. All fine and back on the normal 3 yearly screening. grin

Thetruthfairy Wed 06-Dec-17 13:16:41

Great news op, time to treat yourself I think, you deserve it xx

Robux Wed 06-Dec-17 13:17:38

That's good news Op you must be so relieved. Enjoy!!!!

CoperCabana Wed 06-Dec-17 16:49:42

So pleased!

CharlieSierra Wed 06-Dec-17 18:38:06

Massively relieved. Need an early night to catch up on all the missing sleep and just booked a lovely relaxing spa day to celebrate. wine

AFingerofFudge Fri 08-Dec-17 16:46:16

Just caught up on on this. Was thinking of you so very relieved to hear the good news.smile

Terrylene Fri 08-Dec-17 20:22:35

I got recalled, was well and truly mammogrammed, ultrasounded, then they went back to look at the mammogram results again, did some measuring up and ultrasounded again and...........found absolutely nothing. Then they had to discuss it at their weekly meeting to make sure they had not missed anything before I was signed off.

The screening mammogram did look convincingly like possible cancer, but the screening process only takes photos from two angles so can be misleading.

Probably a hormonal blip. Hope that is all yours is - most recalls do not result in anything.

Terrylene Fri 08-Dec-17 20:23:35

Ah - just RTFT blush

Glad it was ok smile

Ropsleybunny Fri 08-Dec-17 20:24:20

I had three breast lumps, there were all benign cysts. They are much more common than breast cancer, so the chances are good for you. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: