Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do you and your dd(s) menstruate at the same time?

(24 Posts)
lottieandmia22 Fri 01-Dec-17 11:06:09

I always wondered whether this was true / that women in the same household get their periods at the same time. Is there a reason for it? I've noticed my dd and I seem to be in sync.

stuckfornames Fri 01-Dec-17 11:23:03

I don't believe I did the same time as my Mum - but then my periods stopped when I started the pill. My older sister and my mum fought a lot at some points, so it's possible they were in sync!

They were just too similar, whereas I was just far too chilled to bother fighting with my mum haha.

BUT I did notice that me and my 3 best friends seem to be in sync! Which is very strange haha!

stuckfornames Fri 01-Dec-17 11:23:35

Well 2 of us are pregnant now, but before that we seemed to be!

letsdolunch321 Fri 01-Dec-17 11:24:21

Yes me and my daughter are 1/2 days apart

Worldsworstcook Fri 01-Dec-17 11:24:50

Yep all the time! I started 3 days ago and told dd to get ready. She did and voila!! if I start she goes. And vice Versa.

RatRolyPoly Fri 01-Dec-17 11:29:36

Isn't it something to do with matching up with lunar cycles rather than matching up with each other IYSWIM? Or is that a load of bull? I always believed the moon's gravity pulled both the tides and periods, although that sounds pretty far fetched reading it back.

Floralnomad Fri 01-Dec-17 11:31:09

No , when I was at home there were 4 women and we were never all having a period at the same time and myself and my dd have rarely been on at the same time .

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Fri 01-Dec-17 11:31:15

I don’t remember ever being aware of when my mum or sister had their periods. We didn’t talk about them at all.

Titsywoo Fri 01-Dec-17 11:31:45

Yes DD and I do. Odd.

Battyoldbat Fri 01-Dec-17 11:33:54

I have read recently I think that this has been investigated and has been debunked?
Won’t happen in our house, I’m going through early menopause and my DDs aren’t old enough yet.

lottieandmia22 Fri 01-Dec-17 15:41:53

I read that it has been debunked but it definitely happens in our house.

leighdinglady Fri 01-Dec-17 15:57:45

Yes me, my sister and Mum were all in sync. I believe it's evolutionary and works by picking up on pheromones. Basically it's an evolutionary advantage if we all got pregnant at the same time - we can all look after the babies and less likely ours will fall victim to a predator

2018babyonboard Fri 01-Dec-17 16:02:00

Mine and my sisters did and When i moved in with a friend and our periods synced up!

LemonysSnicket Fri 01-Dec-17 16:03:24

All five of my female uni friends and I synced up by 2nd year ... was a nightmare for our one male housemate

123rd Fri 01-Dec-17 16:08:57

Five females in the house when we were growing up and we did sync. Only for a little while as hysterectomies/ pill started messing us all up

daimbar Fri 01-Dec-17 16:11:29

I am gay and have lived with two different women and didn’t synch with either of them. Two weeks a month without sex is a lot!

Pseudousername Fri 01-Dec-17 16:25:53

I have synched with my work colleagues. I definitely think it happens.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 01-Dec-17 16:26:57

No. I was through the menopause by the time DD started her periods.

redannie118 Sat 02-Dec-17 10:47:25

Have def noticed this with my DSD ( who lives with us) when i was on the pill was fine, but when i came off my periods were regular as clock work until she started hers. Then mine jumped all over the place till they finally synched up to hers. Think its especially intresting as we are not blood relatives. My DH and 2 teenage sons loooovvvee having 2 hormonal women in the house at the same time ;)

KetleyS Sat 02-Dec-17 10:49:29

Yes, when DD started we were two weeks apart. About a year later we were within 1/2 days of each other. Has been like that for a year now

BagelGoesWalking Sat 02-Dec-17 10:56:17

Also read that it was debunked but it definitely happens very close together with me and DD.

notanurse2017 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:10:39

My dd is at university now but I note that whenever she comes home for more than a day or 2, my period starts. It's very noticeable as I am in my 50s and have only had 3 periods in the last 12 months - one at Xmas (dd home), one at Easter (dd home) and one in June (dd home).

LikeTheShoes Sat 02-Dec-17 11:19:50

There was a "more or less" episode about this. It more or less (see what I did there?) Concluded that the research was fairly flawed but did appear to show that synchronisation did not appear in the data. It's only 6 minutes, and a good listen:

More or Less - Menstrual Syncing, 02/09/2016 GMT - @bbcworldservice http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p045wh04

fleshmarketclose Sat 02-Dec-17 11:44:05

Well I used synch to with my dm when I lived at home and I did with dd1 when she lived at home. My periods have done now though so nobody here to synch with dd2. Dm, my dd's and I, all have or had 27 day cycles as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now