Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Antihistamine

(14 Posts)
softoprascalvan Fri 01-Dec-17 08:40:16

Hi all, like the Eagles sang "Everybody's Talking Bout The New Kid In Town"

Here I am with my first post.

Does anyone one know and can recommend a good over the counter Antihistamine that makes you drowsy.
I understand the active ingredient varies between brands some are none drowsy which tends to be the general rule in modern ones but looking it up on the net has just about blagged my head and I'm simply looking for a silver bullet type answer.
Ideally a brand and which shops stock them in the UK.

Thank you. smile

Ollivander84 Sat 02-Dec-17 02:29:58

phenargen or OTC sominex (not the herbal type)

softoprascalvan Sat 02-Dec-17 19:16:28

Thank you.
Have you any idea what shops stock them?

Wolfiefan Sat 02-Dec-17 19:17:21

Why would you actively want one to make you drowsy?

softoprascalvan Sun 03-Dec-17 09:28:24

Because they are considerably cheaper than over the counter sleeping tablets and produce the same end result.
My issue is irregular sleep not really allergy related.

irvineoneohone Sun 03-Dec-17 09:36:33

But the thing is, it may make you drawsy, but it's not guaranteed to make you drawsy.
If you need proper sleeping aids, isn't it better to see the GP and prescribed a meds which do the job?
Talking from a pov who has a dc who needs to take antihistamines for years, and worrying about unwanted side effects.

softoprascalvan Sun 03-Dec-17 13:37:30

In UK Doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills and our prescription charges are at best expensive.
Certain brands of antihistamine do the same job as sleeping pills at a fraction of the cost.

dementedpixie Sun 03-Dec-17 13:38:47

Piriton is a sedating anti histamine

dementedpixie Sun 03-Dec-17 13:41:47

www.drugs.com/diphenhydramine.html

softoprascalvan Sun 03-Dec-17 15:57:08

Thank you for the heads up.

Autocorrectible Mon 04-Dec-17 13:54:54

My GP prescribes antihistamines for insomnia as a first try. They only give proper sleeping tablets if the antihistamines don’t work.

I recommend Phenerghan, although the pharmacist will ask you what you use them for and if you say to help you sleep, they may refuse to sell them to you (speaking from experience)

softoprascalvan Mon 04-Dec-17 17:44:02

Thank you for the information, I'm looking to buy over the counter products as any prescribed medicine is generally sourced cheaper elsewhere.

Fintons Mon 04-Dec-17 17:47:16

I second Piriton.

My GP also prescribed these as a first treatment for sleeping problems. Second is anti depressants such as Amitryptaline (sp?).

softoprascalvan Tue 05-Dec-17 12:04:36

Thank you for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now