Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Double prescription charges

(7 Posts)
frostyfingers Thu 30-Nov-17 18:06:55

I have for years been eligible for free prescriptions but now as circumstances have changed (not financially, but for family reasons) this is no longer applicable. I am hugely appreciative of this benefit and have just been to pick up my regular prescription with money in hand ready to pay my £8.60.

However I was unprepared for the fact that my medication counts as a double cost because it it a “2 ingredient” prescription so have had to pay £17.20 - even though it is in one foil package and one half is useless without the other. Looking on the NHS website, the charge is £8.60 per item so surely something packaged and prescribed as one should only be charged as one?

Yes, I’ll get a Prepayment card and no I won’t complain to the surgery because it’s nothing to do with them, but I do think the explanation and wording needs to be changed to make this clear.

Has anyone else been caught out like this before?

madamginger Thu 30-Nov-17 18:13:14

Lots of products are 2 or sometimes even 3 charges.
A canesten combi is 2 charges as there are 2 different products in the box (a cream and a pessary.
Stockings are charged at 1 fee per item so I pair is 2 charges, 2 pairs is 4 charges.
psnc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Multi-charge-card.pdf

LineysRunner Thu 30-Nov-17 18:17:41

A crappy one I've heard of is HRT with oestrogen and progesterone in it. For women with early menopause, this is to prevent onset of osteoporosis. Why double charge?

I don't get double charged for Zapain with paracetamol and codeine, for pain.

Viviennemary Thu 30-Nov-17 18:23:56

Yes this is a thing I've heard of before. I googled it and there's even an old MN thread asking the same thing. HRT prescription in that case. It does seem a bit unfair as they are in the same packet. If you could get a six months prescription then it won't seem as bad.

Silvercatowner Thu 30-Nov-17 18:24:32

Yes, I get double charged for my HRT as the package contains 2 different types of pills.

Chrys2017 Thu 30-Nov-17 18:24:48

Yes, this has been the case for as long as I can remember.

Ollivander84 Sat 02-Dec-17 02:35:58

Don't know if you have sent off for it yet but if you backdate your pre payment card you can claim the charges back if it helps?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: