Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

episiotomy and cystitis

(10 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Thu 30-Nov-17 04:54:37

3 weeks PP from forceps delivery

past two nights my episiotomy area has been extremely itchy, and I also think I have cystitis as my urethra is tender plus my bladder feels full when it's not. I've tried to self help the cystitis but it seems to be OK during the day but bad during the night (im constantly "needing") When I wake during the night my episiotomy area is itchy and almost wet feeling - I'm still in liners with minimum blood but some urine during to a catheter being used during birth and my pelvic floor being shot to bits at the moment. I change my liner every bathroom trip. Again during the day is bearable but at night I'm climbing the walls.

Could cystitis cause the episiotomy area to itch? Or is it two separate matters?

ForTheLoveOfGrace Thu 30-Nov-17 05:46:29

Ooh you poor thing. Sounds like cystitis does it also burn when you pee? Maybe you have a bit of thrush too! Don't delay go to the doctors & they'll sort you out. I know it's not ideal to be on antibiotics but if it's cystitis it's probably your best best to get rid of it quickly. Get well soon

ForTheLoveOfGrace Thu 30-Nov-17 05:47:41

The itching could of cause just be the healing down there!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 30-Nov-17 06:47:08

No burning which is confusing...

PollyPerky Thu 30-Nov-17 08:48:47

You need to get a sample to the GP to be tested for an infection.

PerpetualStudent Thu 30-Nov-17 08:54:57

Deffo get to GPs ASAP! Also, with my episiotomy I tried to give it some time to air each day. Either wandering around (the house!) with a old towel like a sarong or laying one on the bed at night and going pad/pant free. I know it's grim with locia and pelvic floor weakness in the picture, but it did really help me, and could be good for helping to clear up any infections or prevent future ones?

OnNaturesCourse Thu 30-Nov-17 09:08:15

Unfortunately there is no chance of getting to a GP today, or getting into a salt bath until later today.

I took my liner out in the middle of night in sheer frustration with the itch and it has helped a little. I'm wonder if getting too hot at night combined with a liner is causing the itch?

As for the cystitis I'm going to try "flush" it out today since I'm stuck in the house so plenty access to the loo.

Feeling pretty miserable though.

OnNaturesCourse Thu 30-Nov-17 22:07:17

Turns out it's potentially a UTI (cystitis?) but the GP I eventually managed to see didn't even want to look at my wound. Got given a 7 day antibiotics course and sent on my way to wait for my 6 week appointment (3 weeks)

So long as I have no discharge from the wound it's okay apparently??

user1499786242 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:51:48

Deffo try and go pant free as much as possible! Mine got quite itchy at one point and was apparently just the healing process!
I took a long time to feel right again, 3 weeks is still pretty early so make sure you go easy and don't push yourself!! X

OnNaturesCourse Fri 01-Dec-17 15:22:46

Thank you.

I was pant free from 8pm last night until lunch time today and it's definitely helped.

Feel a bit tight and draggy around the area today but at least the itch is away for now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now