Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Diabetic snack ideas?

(27 Posts)
Cupoteap Wed 29-Nov-17 19:32:20

So do is recently diagnosed as type 2 and getting to grips with making changes and looking after himself.

I'd love to get together a few bits at mine and have so far come up with some sugar free lollies and sugar free marshmallows. I know he likes quavers.

Any other ideas?

MikeUniformMike Wed 29-Nov-17 19:35:03

Nuts, olives, peanuts, dried fruit, fruit, veg crudites. Not a dietitian but they seem healthy nibbles.

JaneEyre70 Wed 29-Nov-17 19:39:28

For treats on special occasions, I will have cheese and biscuits or some nuts. Crisps are also OK, just watch the salt content. I buy whole earth no added sugar peanut butter that is lovely on crackers too. Dried fruit is very high in sugar so best avoided. A lot of sugar free products are full of xylitol and often have a strong laxative effect so I avoid them like the plague........

minipie Wed 29-Nov-17 19:44:28

Yeah as above but not the dried fruit and careful on the fruit.

Anything with a high (natural) fat or protein content and avoiding sugar and processed starch. So nuts, hummus, oatcakes with butter, cheese, avocado, ham, salami, seeds, hard boiled eggs, olives. Veg ok but better with protein eg carrots with hummus is better for blood sugar control than just carrots.

Stay away from crisps, bread, biscuits, popcorn - anything with any sugar or very starchy.

minipie Wed 29-Nov-17 19:46:19

^I stand corrected re crisps!

Though crisps which are proper slices of potato (like walkers) will be better than "shapes" like quavers or pringles

PippaPiper Wed 29-Nov-17 19:47:44

Cold meats
Sugar free jelly

minipie Wed 29-Nov-17 19:50:31

^I stand corrected re crisps!

Though crisps which are proper slices of potato (like walkers) will be better than "shapes" like quavers or pringles

haveacupoftea Wed 29-Nov-17 19:56:59

Not crisps! Being on a diabetic diet is different from low carb weight loss diets.

You'll need to stick to low GI foods paired with protein so a slice of whole grain (not brown) toast with peanut butter, ham & cheese or egg. Nuts are good. Bowl of soup. Best to have something small before bed because sugar levels can rise during the night. Eating can stave this off. So 2 rich tea or 2 fig rolls or an apple with a bit of cheese or something. Has he not been given a diet sheet yet?

Cupoteap Wed 29-Nov-17 22:32:59

Thank you all some bits I can really use.

I'm sure he has been given a sheet will find out but as we don't live together just wanted to get some bits sorted to whip out. Want to show support without having to question him too much.

FlakeBook Fri 01-Dec-17 22:23:57

Cold meat
Cocktail sausages
Natural Greek yogurt
Sugar free jelly
Hot chocolate made with almond milk, double cream, cocoa and sweetener.
Fish sticks
Cocktail sausages

FlakeBook Fri 01-Dec-17 22:24:44

No added sugar peanut butter
Hummus in moderation
Veg sticks
Cream cheese

FlakeBook Fri 01-Dec-17 22:25:50

Lower the carbs and don't be afraid of fat.

The current advice given by the NHS is patchy and unreliable.
Look up low carb / Dr Bernstein

FlakeBook Fri 01-Dec-17 22:27:20

No ill-effects from xylitol here. Steer clear of stevia, it's disgusting.

trinity0097 Sat 02-Dec-17 05:44:39

He needs to follow a low carb high fat diet to cure the diabetes. Get on the diet doctor website for details.

So snacks like a few nuts, cheese, ham etc

No fruit or carbs

Cupoteap Sat 02-Dec-17 07:47:21

That's really useful will check out the web sites.

Thank you all

MiniMaxi Sat 02-Dec-17 08:00:17

I had gestational diabetes which is similar to type 2 in diet control etc.

My go-to snack was oatcakes with peanut butter, or a handful of nuts.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 02-Dec-17 08:29:14

I have type 2 which I've had for about 10 years. It's recently become harder to control so I've had to go very low-carb. I only eat carbs with protein now, and I snack on cheese, nuts, cold sausages (my favourite), celery, raw broccoli (which I appreciate may not be to everyone's taste) and cold meats.

I recommend they have a good carb reducing diet on their website that is done in stages and is quite easy to follow. It depends on how much effort he wants to put into controlling his blood glucose, but if he is able to be very controlled then the Micheal Mosely book works wonders.

PragmaticWench Sat 02-Dec-17 09:02:18

I'm sure I read that three months of a strictly controlled diet can reverse the type two diagnosis. Worth looking into perhaps?

Cupoteap Sat 02-Dec-17 17:49:19

Wow really?

hevonbu Sat 02-Dec-17 17:51:50

You might want to check out the '8 week blood sugar diet', it's on an other thread here, and there's also a book by that title.

TittyGolightly Sat 02-Dec-17 17:54:50

It’s the Blood Sugar Diet.

Strictly no snacking on it. and no sugar free anything (body still reacts to it).

I’ve lost 4 stone since January on it. Thousands have reversed type 2 diabetes in it.

minipie Sat 02-Dec-17 19:01:07

I'm intrigued by the "no snacking" Titty. When I had GD I had to eat little and often in order to prevent post meal spikes. So snacks between meals were actively encouraged, though obviously they had to be protein/fat based (I ate a lot of peanuts). Does the blood sugar diet say 3 meals a day only and no snacks?

Evewasinnocent Sat 02-Dec-17 19:07:02

My DH reversed type 2 diabetes with the Blood Sugar Diet - followed it faithfully and eats very healthily - no return of T2 (a year now) - but you substitute with healthy things and I sorry but I don't think sugar free marshmallows or quavers would be the way to go.

trinity0097 Sat 02-Dec-17 19:13:27

If you do low carb high fat you will feel fat less hungry as the fat fills you up, so you naturally snack less.

I reversed my t2 in a couple of months and lost about 4 stone

GinandGingerBeer Sat 02-Dec-17 19:26:28

Definitely needs to cut out the snacks! The body needs a break in between eating to let BG return to normal levels.
Read the blood sugar book, it’ll all make sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now