Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent Breast Cancer Referral

(9 Posts)
Candysandy Wed 29-Nov-17 10:51:20

Hi all,
I recently found a small pea-sized lump in my left breast along with really dilated pronounced blue veins.I visited my GP yesterday and he's told me I'll be seen within 14 days at the hospital ...I've managed to get myself in a real state, convincing myself it's worst case scenario ...I've previously had a fibroadenoma which was left in place ten years back and my last ultrasound /mammogram was three years ago which was clear...I can't stop getting into a panic ,is anybody going through a similar situation or can anyone help with some words of wisdom, thank you xx

Candysandy Wed 29-Nov-17 11:55:36

I'm 45 if that's relevant

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 29-Nov-17 13:06:40

Try not to panic. Easier said than done, I know. Pretty much all breast clinic referrals are within two weeks, which is just because there's a chance it's breast cancer and so it's better to rule that out first. 9 out of 10 lumps are not breast cancer, so the odds are in your favour. You're very welcome to join us on the cancer support thread while you're waiting if you'd like. Lots of people have been in your position, and most of them just appear on the thread briefly then get good news and leave smile

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 29-Nov-17 13:10:00

Forgot the link, here

Dodie66 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:10:11

I had a lump and was referred quickly. I had a mammogram and a needle biopsy there and then. It was a benign cyst.
I hope your will be nothing to worry about too.
Big hugs x

RunningAddict Wed 29-Nov-17 13:15:01

Hi OP,

The NHS has a standard procedure of referring within two weeks for lumps like yours so try not to read too much into it. I had the same but in my neck, was seen within the two weeks and it was completely benign.

Hope everything is okay and nothing to worry about flowers

pfrench Sat 02-Dec-17 23:50:49

Yep, I had breast pain - no obvious lumps, and got a 2 week referral. Consider it a positive thing.

CharlieSierra Sat 02-Dec-17 23:57:29

I started a thread yesterday when I got home from work and found a letter saying I've been recalled for further tests following a routine mammogram. I'm going back next Wednesday. Panicking like you. flowers

Silvercatowner Sun 03-Dec-17 02:24:30

NHS breast care is fantastic, efficient and runs like clockwork. Most referrals for a lump or pain etc will be seen within a fortnight - by itself this isn't a sign that things are serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now