Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrible pain from ovarian cyst - anyone else? Warning - pity party

(11 Posts)
DubiousCredentials Tue 28-Nov-17 20:46:53

I’m really fed up sad I’m awaiting surgery to remove the fecking thing (prob in Jan) but I’m in such pain and just want a moan and a hand hold sad

I keep reading that they don’t normally cause pain but omg I’m crippled at the moment and it’s always in the week leading up to my period, during it and occasionally the week after. So pretty much two weeks out of every four. Walking too much sets it off as does bending over too far or anything that squashes the pelvis area. Pain goes all around my hip and side into the lower back. GP suggested endo but gynae was dismissive as my periods aren’t heavy.

I’m taking 2 x 30/500 cocodamol plus ibuprofen and it’s still hurting tonight. I know it will pass so it’s just a matter of waiting.

Anyone else had it having similar?

Also does anyone know - would the gynae see any endo deposits when doing the laparoscopy to remove the cyst even if she wasn’t really looking for any?

oreosoreosoreos Tue 28-Nov-17 21:01:13

Firstly, flowers for you.
Secondly, you don’t have to have very heavy periods to have endo. Mine aren’t particularly heavy (but are painful). The consultant should be able to tell when they do a lap (an of it is they should clean everything out whilst they’re in there).

If you’re in that much pain can your go prescribe you anything stronger?

Or, if you’re open to alternative therapies I’d highly recommend lavender essential oil - just a few drops in a capful of carrier oil lightly rubbed onto the abdominal area a couple of times a day. I’ve been doing this for the past 12 months and have gone from taking max paracetamol and ibrprofen 4-5 days a cycle (which didn’t even feel like it touched the pain anyway) to taking none at all. I don’t care if it’s psychosomatic, it’s working for me so I’m sticking with it!

DubiousCredentials Tue 28-Nov-17 21:21:29

The codiene I take now makes me feel a bit light headed and I can’t really drive if I’ve had some so I’d be very wary of taking anything stronger. Maybe a stronger anti inflammatory might help though.

I know I’ve read on here about endo not always meaning heavy periods but everything I’ve found via googling lists it as a main symptom confused

And re alternative therapies, I’m willing to try anything really!

Thanks for replying smile

wheresthel1ght Tue 28-Nov-17 21:26:46

The cyst itself isn't painful, Imits when they are putting pressure on other things or worse twisting.

If the amount of cocodamol is correct t then please I urge you see your GP urgently and get it checked. The only time I get eye-watering pain is when they twist or burst. Depending on the size bursting can be exceptionally dangerous.

Dr Google lists heavy periods for endo because it is one of the most common symptoms. I don't have it but have been investigated for it so I believe the laparoscopy would pick it up if the endo tissue was in the area they were looking at. The problem I believe is that the tissue can grow literally anywhere so not necessarily isolated to the womb.

DubiousCredentials Tue 28-Nov-17 21:43:02

I’ve been having the same pain since May so I don’t think it’s bursting or twisting. It’s cyclical which is what makes me think it might be endo on the same size as the cyst. Gynae said the pain could be the cyst bleeding into itself or leaking. I’m not saying she’s wrong - she obv knows her stuff.

Glad you both think endo would be spotted when I have cyst removed. I’ll be mentioning it again anyway.

And yes gp prescribed 2 x 30/500 cocodamol up to four times a day. But I usually only need it once or twice a day a few days of the month over those two weeks.

Pinkywoo Wed 29-Nov-17 18:38:38

I'm having mine removed in a couple of weeks (dermoid cyst) and am on a similar amount of codeine but can't take ibuprofen as I'm asthmatic. My pain is pretty constant though, not cyclical, hot water bottles and baths help but can't wait to be rid of it!

DubiousCredentials Wed 29-Nov-17 19:16:18

I’d love a hot bath when I’m in pain but we’ve only got a shower which really isn’t quite the same!

almay Wed 29-Nov-17 22:27:09

I know very little about cysts but just wanted to stick this here

endometriosis.org/endometriosis/symptoms/

The main symptom of endo is pelvic pain. Some people may have heavy periods but that in and of itself isn’t a sign. So I’m not saying that you do or you don’t, but just that the gynaecologist was wrong to dismiss it just because you don’t have heavy periods confused If you’re still concerned following the lap I’d look for a second opinion

Hauntedlobster Wed 29-Nov-17 22:30:12

flowers can’t help but you have my sympathy. I had one (size of a melon) and got to the point I couldn’t really walk. Take it easy, I’d go back to the doctor if it’s really bad.

libbylousmum Wed 29-Nov-17 22:42:10

Had three large cysts removed and ended up having left ovary removed ... Gynocologist once told me that ovaries are as sensitive as a man's balls so a cyst will be painful ... helped me give it some perspective as I felt like a bit of a wimp. It hurt to walk, carry anything heavy etc ...

DubiousCredentials Thu 30-Nov-17 08:39:56

Ooh I like the balls comparison. I’ll def use that when I’m trying to explain to dh! And tbh I wouldn’t care if they took the whole blooming lot away, I’ve done with babies and the whole area is nothing but pain and inconvenience. Menopause is presumably many years away based on DM/DSIS/DGM being well into their 50s before being peri.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now