Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Possibly stupid question - would a haematology appointment involve a scan?

(10 Posts)
SportyBobster Mon 27-Nov-17 20:48:20

Feeling a bit confused. I've had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for 6/7 weeks but no other symptoms (apart from a cold for a week).

I had bloods done at the GP but I was asked to get them repeated as they showed some abnormalities but the GP said this was likely to be due to having a cold and she wasn't overly concerned. These have been repeated today but I don't have the results as yet.

When I was back at the GP last week she said she would make a referral for my lymph nodes to the local hospital. She said this would be done as a quick referral and I would have an appointment within 2 weeks and I would receive a scan and I would be told the outcome the same day.

I have just arrived home to an appointment letter for the end of December but this is a haematology appointment. I am a bit confused as I wouldn't have expected this dept to have dealt with scans? Will they just do bloods again and take it from there? Different ones from the GP? I should know the new blood results by the end of this week.

Anyone in the know able to offer any advice?

iVampire Mon 27-Nov-17 21:00:58

I don’t want to sound alarming, but a 2 Week Rule referral to haematology is likely to mean they are investigating the possibility of blood cancer. And with your history and with a scan as part of diagnosis, it’s likely to be tests for for lymphoma.

Don’t panic

Firstly, if they were really worried, you’d be seen immediately. Secondly, they might be testing to exclude (there are other possibilities). Thirdly some forms of lymphoma are very slow to progress and can be very effectively managed.

Fingers firmly crossed for you.

If you want to know what they are testing for, could you ring the surgery and ask your GP? Mine told me when I had my urgent haem referral.

SportyBobster Mon 27-Nov-17 21:47:34

Thanks for your reply smile. From googling I have assumed that's what I would be tested for. Although I just assumed from what the dr said it would be a scan and biopsy. But the appointment letter mentions nothing about this.

I also that the blood tests from the gp would have shown up indicators of blood cancers but maybe that wasn't tested for?

I might give the surgery a phone tomorrow. I wish I didn't have to wait another month but I realise in the grand scheme of things that isn't actually long.

iVampire Wed 29-Nov-17 20:18:29

Just wondering how you’re getting on and hoping things are OK.

Some blood cancers do show up in blood tests - mine did (I have chronic myeloid leukaemia) but I don’t know so much about lymphoma.

lovemylover Thu 30-Nov-17 22:55:07

Don't panic at the 2 week rule, I had to have a womb scan within 2 weeks,it was just to rule out anything sinister, and it was all clear
It is just a precaution in case of

Tinysarah1985 Fri 01-Dec-17 07:21:37

Yes the 2 week wait is also used to rule out cancer, it’s one of the options on the GP referral form. And also, it couls be that when the medical secretary was doing the referral there was a random cancelled appointment that had been put back on the system. Happens quite a lot when i’m actioning them (yes I am a medical secretary).
But if you are worried ask for a callback from your GP to go over it all with you.

Ollivander84 Sat 02-Dec-17 02:33:01

I would give the surgery a ring
And second the don't panic, my GP sent me to haematology within 24hrs due to my blood results! I was ill (despite working and functioning normally) but it was diagnosed and controlled with weekly injections. I basically kill off my own neutrophils (thanks for that body) hmm
I just go to haematology every 12 weeks for bloods and a Costa coffee

ElizaDontlittle Sat 02-Dec-17 02:52:43

You need to see the haematology consultant first, which is who your appointment is with. They will examine you top to toe (including your groins) and then decide what sort of scan, if any, to do first, and what sort of biopsy, if any, to do. It's not usually like a one stop shop referral for eg. suspected breast or endometrial cancer but if they are concerned it will still all happen quite quickly.

SportyBobster Sat 02-Dec-17 10:55:03

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your replies.

I've had my second lot of bloods back, these apparently were a tiny improvement on my first lot but were still showing raised lymphocytes so the GP thinks that going for the haematology appointment is still the right course of action. So I have that in 3 weeks time, but don't need any more bloods done in the meantime.

I still feel really anxious about it and feel like I am permanently touching the lump and comparing it to the other side and then feeling other areas to see if they feel normal. On the plus side I have no other symptoms so I suppose that's a plus.

Hulder Sat 02-Dec-17 11:03:30

They will prob want to ultrasound and biopsy the lump. However what order everything happens in will vary depending on who you see first - a haematologist will get someone else to do the scanning and biopsying.

Raised neck nodes are a common problem and it's most likely they are just taking a long time to go away after your cold but the hospital should have a pathway for dealing with them as they see them so often.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now