Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pain upper left abdomen

(18 Posts)
itsbetterthanabox Sun 26-Nov-17 21:13:08

Keep getting pin pointed pain in upper left belly- near the centre. It’s always just a slight pain not really bad but it worries me a lot. I have health anxiety. I keep poking the area which I know won’t help. No other symptoms.
Could it just be a muscle? What organs are there!

itsbetterthanabox Mon 27-Nov-17 10:10:22

sadie9 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:58:07

Your stomach is there under the left ribs kind of centre and going around to the left dropping down under the ribs. So yours could be simple indigestion or stomach acid type of thing. Try a Rennie's or Gaviscon if you get the pain again. Or even a glass of milk or eating something and see if that helps. If it mainly occurs when your stomach is empty then it's probably stomach acid.
I am on medication for stomach acid, but still get the pain on and off depending on what I eat or stress, and it does set your mind off worrying.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 27-Nov-17 15:57:51

Thank you
It does actually go when I eat I think. I’ve taken some renny too. So think you are right.
I’ve had heart burn before and that felt so different to this so I didn’t think it was acid. It’s such a pin point niggley pain rather than burning in my throat like with heartburn.
I’m gonna see how it goes and see a doc if it gets worse. I am a worrier so trying to relax about it and not imagine it something awful, this is hard!

DubiousCredentials Mon 27-Nov-17 16:59:24

I have exactly the same and gp has said basically what sadie9 put! I’m on omeprazole for a month to see if it helps and he’s organising an endoscopy for me. I also was hmm as it doesn’t feel like heartburn or indigestion but I think the dr said gastritis? It feels like a stitch pain under my left rib cage, sometimes further up. Sounds just like what you describe. Worth a gp visit if it doesn’t clear up.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 27-Nov-17 21:23:06

Thank you that’s really helpful.
I asked a pharmacist and she said take anti acids. I’ll see how it goes like you suggest.

puffylovett Tue 28-Nov-17 00:27:51

I get similar pain to this. Like an itchy, highly pain just in one spot. I was paranoid for a while I may have an ulcer or something.. but it seems to improve when I pass wind or do a poo, so I put it down to trapped wind or constipation. The only weird thing is sometimes when I twist it feels like something inside is pinching. Gp hasn't been too concerned, but it hasn't gone away... I would be interested to hear how you get on

DubiousCredentials Thu 30-Nov-17 13:52:34

How is the pain now op?

tilligan Thu 30-Nov-17 18:04:23

Had similar for 10days in the summer. Had various tests including colonoscopy and nothing found. Think it’s probably wind related!

itsbetterthanabox Sun 03-Dec-17 10:51:20

Seems a lot better. No more pain at the moment. If it comes back I’ll go docs. That best? Seems lots of us have it lol.

TDHManchester Sun 03-Dec-17 13:10:50

Could be IBS related...

itsbetterthanabox Sun 03-Dec-17 19:34:57

I do have Ibs I think it’s every pain I’ve had before though from it is low down not upper abdomen.
It’s started again now but only a little bit. I start to think it’s a bit psychosomatic though!
It’s just a twinging on and off pain.

itsbetterthanabox Sat 09-Dec-17 21:34:36

Went to the docs. He poked me about and gave me some tablets to reduce stomach acid.
They haven’t helped really yet.
Today I poked the and I think there’s like hard lump where the pain is but I’m not sure. It’s more painful when I tense. It’s quite small.
Worried again!

DubiousCredentials Sun 10-Dec-17 12:54:06

Sorry you’re in pain again. The gp would have felt a lump when he examined you I would have thought. But def go back if he tablets aren't helping or if you’re worried about the lump. For what it’s worth, I think omeprazole (if that’s what you’ve been prescribed) may take a few days to work at full strength. It did for me. But part of me thinks it’s the placebo effect anyway!

I had my gastroscopy last week and had four biopsies taken from the affected area in my stomach which temporarily made the pain much worse. It’s back to normal now and hopefully the omeprazole will take effect pretty soon.

Farahilda Sun 10-Dec-17 12:56:57

It's possibly some sort of GI issue (diverticulosis might be a possibility, as well as IBS) - if you have had poo symptoms (especially if lasting over 3 weeks) you need to tell your GP about it.

The only other organ on upper left is spleen.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 10-Dec-17 14:49:09

I’ve had ibs like symptoms for years now but doctors know that. They aren’t worried.
I suppose I’ve been a bit more constipated the last few weeks but not badly so. I’m still going normally.

Maybe I’m imagining the lump or it’s just some ab muscle. The doctor did examine me by feeling the area and didn’t feel anything like that but I’ll mention it.
I thought possibly a small hernia?

Gonna see how it goes on the tablets.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 10-Dec-17 15:21:11

Also I’m worried he wouldn’t have felt lump as I’m fat!

DubiousCredentials Sun 10-Dec-17 16:13:51

I’m sure they’re used to feeling through flesh to what’s beneath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now