Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleaching teeth with peroxide?

(6 Posts)
femmeanne21 Thu 23-Nov-17 23:33:05

I live in ROI (Republic of Ireland) and h2o2 like many other seemingly harmless herbs or medicines available in the US or UK are completely unavailable here. My teeth really became yellow over the years as a result of high carb consumption as well as a poor hygiene during a period of depression in my teens and although I've improved, my self esteem is still quite low from my teeth.

So far I can only find those "effective tooth whiteners" in Boots, McCabes etc.. which are overpriced and don't state the concentration of hydrogen peroxide that make me think they might be advertising gimmicks.

I know the discouragement you read online as well as from dentists about using any kind of teeth bleaching products yourself but here its so freaking expensive to get it done as well as the fact that I'm saving for something else.

I know one male friend in the US who bought a high concentration shipped from eBay and simply dapped his toothbrush in it for two weeks. It worked but his gums and teeth are now sensitive so he has to avoid any mildly acidic foods or anything too hot or cold.

Any suggestions? I definitely think Irish customs will stop me from buying it on eBay even from England. Would I have a better chance if I went up to N.I?

GameofPhones Thu 23-Nov-17 23:38:57

No, it will damage your gums, and hurt a lot. Skin colour affects the perceived whiteness of teeth - which is why they look better if you have a tan. Red lipstick helps, too,

Pawpainting Fri 24-Nov-17 04:16:54

Long lasting tooth and gum sensitivity means he has damaged his teeth and gums. I would just order crest white strips online. The ones you leave on for an hour at a time work great, I think they are called glamourous white one hour express. Or see a dentist. Yes it's expensive but worth it for not wrecking your teeth!

TheNumberfaker Fri 24-Nov-17 05:01:21

Wrecking your teeth and gums so you need implants or dentures will damage your wallet and self esteem even more!

hevonbu Fri 24-Nov-17 05:04:09

I think you'd best discuss it with your dentist and, if you two decide tyou need to do it, do it there under their supervision even if it'll be more expensive.

WiseDad Fri 24-Nov-17 07:45:55

The dentist stuff isn't h2o2 it's carbomyl peroxide (sp?) which turns to h2o2 slowly in your mouth. Lower concentration so less chance of damage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now