Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A year on from hysterectomy

(15 Posts)
LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 15:49:53

This time a year ago I was under the knife having an abdominal hysterectomy to deal with horrendous periods caused by a huge fibroid. At the time I read a lot of post-hysterectomy horror stories which almost put me off having it done.

A year later and I'm so pleased I did. I'm no longer anaemic. I no longer have that desperate rush to the loo when teh fibroid moves and presses on my bladder. I don't bleed for 10 days every 3 weeks, soaking through a supersized tampon and a maternity pad in record time. My ovaries haven't packed up and I feel so much better than I did before.

I now skip past the san pro aisle in the supermarket and bought my first pair of white linen trousers in decades for my holiday. Obviously not everyone has such a great recovery and I have to be mindful of my pelvic floor, but in my case it's been so worth it and I'm glad I pushed for surgery rather than putting up with another 10 years or more of the bleeding.

BackBoiler Wed 22-Nov-17 19:28:08

This is exactly what i need to read on my first night home after my surgery on Monday. In pain and gassed up at the minute but this is my aim from the whole thing. Thank you

LunasSpectreSpecs Wed 22-Nov-17 19:41:44

Backboiler you'll get there. Just don't push yourself, allow other people to help you and take it easy.

BG2015 Wed 22-Nov-17 20:09:52

I’m coming up to nearly 6 months since I had my hysterectomy and I too agree it’s the best thing I ever did!

My ovaries have given up so I’m taking HRT but it’s working out well.

tobee Wed 22-Nov-17 20:30:05

Omg! I love my hysterectomy! (grin).

One of the best things I did. I had similar issues to op.

Ps don’t forget the fun of wearing skimpy knicks if you want. I went a bit overboard and bought about 30 pairs! smile

mrsrhodgilbert Wed 22-Nov-17 21:48:46

Anyone had a laparoscopic one? I'll be having one in the new year, there's nothing wrong with my uterus, ovaries etc. I need to have it done to make me post menopausal because of breast cancer treatment. There will be no relief from terrible bleeding, I don't have that. I'm most concerned about recovery time and things going wrong.

ItsLikeSputnik Wed 22-Nov-17 21:53:42

It’s the six year anniversary of my hysterectomy today, and it’s the best thing I have ever done for my health. Exactly the same as you OP, enormous fibroid outside my uterus combined with loads of little ones inside.
I wasn’t really prepared enough for what the recovery would be like, but I took it very gently and healed with no problems.
It has been transformative smile

BG2015 Thu 23-Nov-17 21:09:23

Mine was a laparoscopic one. Arrived at hospital at 7.30, first down to theatre at 9am, back on the ward by 1pm. Uncomfortable but little pain. Catheter and inflatable things on my legs for 24 hours.

Up the next morning and discharged at 10am. The first 2 weeks were the worst, but bearable. Lots of rest and sleep needed. No lifting, even a kettle. Short walks building up slowly.

The worst thing was the wind. I went back to work (teaching) after 6 weeks, but probably could have gone back at 5 weeks.

BackBoiler Fri 24-Nov-17 05:31:27

The wind is starting to go now but i have a burning itching sensation to one side, nearest to the furthest left laparoscopic scar (i had failed laparoscopic surgery into an open op) im nearly 5 days post surgery

BG2015 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:36:19

I had some strange pulling/tugging sensations - went back to GP who said I was expecting too much and that I’d had a BIG operation. I had 4 incisions (usually there is only 3) and one was quite close to my hip which resulted in the tugging sensation.

It eased off after 3 weeks or so. Just take the opportunity to rest and take things slowly.

pinkhousesarebest Fri 24-Nov-17 21:41:02

Me exactly! I feel 20 years younger. I wish I hadn't spent ten miserable years thinking excessive bleeding was normal.

ScreamingValenta Fri 24-Nov-17 21:50:59

Mine will be a year ago next weekend - I echo everything you say in your post, OP. This time last year I was in a state of dread, worrying about the op, and almost immobilised by pain and heavy bleeding. A couple of months after the op, I was pain-free for the first time in years and my general health has really improved, especially in the last six months. I feel thankful every time I pass the sanpro aisle. Definitely the best decision I have ever made. I wish I'd had it done sooner.

BackBoiler Sat 25-Nov-17 08:11:25

How did you all get on sex wise. Its far too early for me at the moment but did things feel different?

mrsrhodgilbert Sat 25-Nov-17 21:03:10

I'd also be keen to hear some views on that backboiler. Something I'll be asking about when I see the gynaecologist. I think I'm also going to have to discuss whether I keep my cervix or not, does anyone have any views about that please?

BackBoiler Sat 25-Nov-17 21:59:07

I have kept my cervix as it was stuck to my bladder. I do not mind having to have smears or that i may have a bit of spotting at the time of my period. The heavy periods and anaemia will stop and i will be able to enjoy life with my family. I am 33 so could not carry on for possibly 30 years longer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now