Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Vitamin D question

(12 Posts)
MyGuideJools Tue 14-Nov-17 13:55:42

I had my vit D checked and it's come back as 68.9 'adequate'
I have really 'achy' sometimes painful legs so thought, after reading other threads that I might be deficient.
I had a week in the sun about 4 weeks ago.
I was under the impression that levels needed to be above 100.
Do I need a supplement I wonder? & if so how much🤔

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Tue 14-Nov-17 18:34:19

I take a liquid form with omega 3 you can buy them from Aldi. I also drink a berroca/vit B supplement everyday. Maybe your immune system is low too so your feeling more achey? X

Nomoretears56 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:39:35

Don't know if I'm getting confused with vit D and vit B but one of them is impossible to ingest therefore needs injections.

lastnamefirstfirstnamelast Tue 14-Nov-17 18:42:38

Vit b is the one that is normally injected if your deficient. However I do find vit B supp does give me a boost before a work out? X

Nomoretears56 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:01:06

Doctor told me that it was a waste to buy the supp. But maybe that's if you're already deficient, I know I get tired and achey when my injection is due. X

Foodylicious Wed 15-Nov-17 17:07:53

Hi, optimal vit d level Is above 75 so you really are just under.
I would make an appt with your gp and discuss if you need treatment.
If someone is very deficient they are put on a course of colecalciferol.
Or it could be that you just need to start a daily supplement of 10mg. Especially as we are heading in to the darker winter months.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:09:33

I take Vit d all winter, I read there's not enough UVb in the winter for us to make it in the uk.

Vit b12 only has to be injected if you lack intrinsic factor & cant absorb it from food.

Nomoretears56 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:21:24


Vit b12 only has to be injected if you lack intrinsic factor & cant absorb it from food.

Thank you, that must be me smile

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:24:50

Pernicious anaemia?.

Autumnchill Wed 15-Nov-17 17:40:34

My Vit D was 28 and then 32 after tablets so very low. You are in range as winter months is 50 and above. It’s got to be something else, hope you get it figured out

Nomoretears56 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:05:03

Yes, two years now blush

shewolfmum Wed 15-Nov-17 20:40:37

Get a multi with d in it as it is a hormone and needs to have other vits with it for absorption. Food state is best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: