Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Loss of vision in one eye, 11 weeks pregnant

(21 Posts)
Jessiwoo Mon 13-Nov-17 15:41:15

Hi, this morning I lost the vision in one of my eyes, and it looked as though there was a bright almost rainbow streak of light wherever I looked with that eye. Ive never had that before but have suffered with migraines in the past, I did have a headache at the time, could it just be a migraine symptom?

dementedpixie Mon 13-Nov-17 15:42:06

Could be migraine with aura. I would see an optician just to check everything is ok

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 13-Nov-17 15:44:29

Could be a blood pressure problem. I would see your midwife and then an optician asap.

Gammeldragz Mon 13-Nov-17 15:45:07

Call midwife as you need blood pressure checking asap.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Mon 13-Nov-17 15:50:07

Could be an ocular migraine.

Talk to your midwife and GP.

madwoman1ntheatt1c Mon 13-Nov-17 15:59:12

Dd2 has had two ocular migraines exactly like this, however, get it checked out. Both episodes were followed by headache.

APMom Mon 13-Nov-17 18:40:38

Obviously get it checked out but sounds like ocular migraine.

helpfulperson Mon 13-Nov-17 19:29:09

Ocular migranes occur in both eyes not just one, because they are actually in the brain not the physical eye.

I would get it checked out asap, either a doctor or an optician will slot you in.

Smitff Mon 13-Nov-17 19:33:04

This sounds like a blood pressure thing to me. Echo other posters: pls get this checked out immediately.

LunarGirl Mon 13-Nov-17 19:44:43

Has your vision returned to normal OP? I had a similar experience during my last pregnancy and it was caused by a blood clot. You should get seen ASAP. Hopefully it's nothing but best to get it checked.

badbadhusky Mon 13-Nov-17 19:49:59

Bright light flashes and vision loss in an eye can be a symptom of retinal detachment. I know some who described a rainbow heat haze-like shimmer with posterior vitreous detachment, which is where a small area of the retina is detaching rather than peeling away wholesale. Definitely worth getting it checked away.

badbadhusky Mon 13-Nov-17 19:50:29

Checked out

lovemylover Tue 14-Nov-17 08:48:49

Occular migraine CAN occur in just one eye,my son has it, often when he is stressed

madwoman1ntheatt1c Wed 15-Nov-17 01:33:30

lol 'helpful person' not actually helpful. Dd2's ocular migraine is only ever in one eye. She loses sight to one side of one vertical line in one eye. The other eye works perfectly throughout.

HopeAndJoy16 Wed 15-Nov-17 01:52:54

At 11 weeks you're too early to be seen by midwife. I'd see an optician first, followed by the GP.

underneaththeash Wed 15-Nov-17 13:03:01

You can get unilateral symptoms in migraines, from your description it does sound like that. I used to suffer when pregnant and breastfeeding. My trigger was usually hunger.

I would also recommend getting bp checked as a precaution.

mando12345 Wed 15-Nov-17 22:04:27

I've had ocular migraines in one eye only, I'm relieved others have experienced the same! I was starting to worry!!
But it sounds very similar OP.

AmazingGrace16 Thu 16-Nov-17 21:13:19

Hi op. How are you?

nameshelpplease Thu 16-Nov-17 22:12:37

Get it checked out, although I had this a couple of times in both my pregnancies, and never experienced it at any other time. The first time it happened I was in my first trimester, it happened in work and as
I work in a health care field I asked one of the nurses in work for advice. He told me a few weeks later that he had guessed I was probably pregnant because it can happen in pregnancy, but hadn't said anything at the time.

Jessiwoo Fri 17-Nov-17 09:09:34

Thanks everyone, it hasn't happened again since but I have a docs appointment Monday so I'll get it checked out.

Fairylea Fri 17-Nov-17 13:59:00

I don’t mean to worry you op but I would actually ring a local opticians and ask them to have a look for you before Monday. Any loss of vision should be treated as an emergency even if it then rectifies itself, it could be any number of things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: