Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Blood in stool, worried

(3 Posts)
myotherusernamerocks Mon 13-Nov-17 15:40:34

Regular user but NC because I’m embarrassed blush I’ve noticed blood when I wipe after a BM, a fair amount. I’m quite scared sad

I’m 28, no history of any bowel illness in the family and I don’t have IBS or anything like that.

I’ve seen a GP today who did an internal exam and noted nothing obvious. She wants me to take a stool sample and if it comes back normal she doesn’t plan to investigate further.

She mentioned it could be piles but there’s no pain when going to the toilet and I’m not constipated.

Can someone reassure me?

AnonEvent Mon 13-Nov-17 15:52:55

I’ve had lots of bright red blood in my stool and upon wiping. It only lasted a day or so, and I presume it was a little bum fissure or similar.

Red blood is fresh, usually surface blood.

Dark blood tends to be internal blood, and more worrying.

You did the right thing going to the GP, and in all likelihood everything is absolutely fine.

AnonEvent Mon 13-Nov-17 15:53:25

Ps it’s happened more than once over the years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now