Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Persisent sore throat

(6 Posts)
Polkadot1974 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:11:09

Obviously if I Google I get throat cancer which my Grandad had and terrifies me. I've had a sore throat for weeks now. I had a chest and ear infection back in September which needed two lots of antibiotics to make me feel human again- was off work and everything which is most unlike me. It eased off greatly, but never really went away and started up again last week and is lingering. It burns when I swallow hot or very cold liquids - is this just another virus? I guess my question is how long do I leave it before going to the doctor again? I know that's the only way I'll get a real answer but I'm debating booking an appointment now, as it takes so long to get in at our surgery. Any experience? I have asthma if that helps and have been told to increase my inhalers- could it be linked?

Polkadot1974 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:52:16

Anyone? Just had soup and it hurt to swallow....maybe I need to move this to the anxiety board...

MyrtleMaracas Mon 13-Nov-17 14:01:53

I'd go back to the gp. It's probably just viral thing, they can linger or even a bit of reflux, but always better to get it checked out and be examined imo.
It's easy to say try not worry, I've had major surgery but still sweat the small stuff too. Health anxiety when we've experienced, or seen someone else experience serious stuff is very normal. Good luck.

Polkadot1974 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:36:57

I’m home now and taken Gaviscon. Hubby says try that for few days then go back. Will see. I hate being a worry wart!

Doublechocolatetiffin Mon 13-Nov-17 17:42:47

I’d go to the GP. I had a sore throat for a few weeks and eventually went to see them. They told me that a viral sore throat should clear in a few days and if it lingers it’s probably bacterial. Antibiotics sorted it very quickly.

Polkadot1974 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:49:35

Thank you. Will book in I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now